cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control of serial numbers in productions (parts and final product serials)

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are starting using our production module in SBO 9.0 PL11 and it is all quite messy.

We need to manufacture an item that has a serial number made of parts, some of which have serial numbers. Just imagine a car. The car will have its own serial number, but the engine, the radio and so on will have their own serial numbers. But the cables, tyres, etc do not have  a serial of their own.

We set a BOM model, made of every part (with or without serial) and set every line to manual.

Then we place a PO for our parts, and then do a Goods Receipt and enter the individual items' serials.

Then, we issue a Production order for our final product made of all of our parts in the BOM. Then we release it for production.

Next, it all gets messi. If we create a receipt from production, we can issue the serial number of each of our final products.

If we create an Issue for Production, we can choose what serials to pick for production.

Big problem is that we loose all traceability. There is no way (or we can't find it) to know what are the serials of the parts that created the final product.

Not only this, issue for production looks (serial number transaction report-wise) looks like a goods issue, so just a way to decrease your parts stock. And receipt of production looks like a goods receipt. So you just now you received something for production or that you issued it to production, but there doesn't seem to be a link between them. No traceability at all.

Can anyone throw some light into this? I am sure we are doing something really wrong, but can't see what.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this query for issued serial number:

SELECT T0.[DocNum] as Prod#, T0.[CardCode] as CustCode,T0.[OriginNum] as SO#, T0.[ItemCode], T1.[ItemCode], T1.[IssuedQty], T3.[IntrSerial],T0.[Comments] as Remark FROM OWOR T0  INNER JOIN WOR1 T1 ON T0.DocEntry = T1.DocEntry left join  SRI1 T2 on  T2.[BsDocEntry] = t0.docentry and T1.[LineNum] = T2.[BsDocLine] inner join  OSRI T3 ON T2.SysSerial = T3.SysSerial and t3.itemcode = t2.itemcode WHERE T2.[BsDocType]  = '202' and  T0.[ItemCode] = [%0] and  T2.[BaseType] = '60' and T0.[Status] IN ('r','l') GROUP BY T0.[DocNum], T0.[ItemCode], T1.[ItemCode], T1.[IssuedQty], T3.[IntrSerial],T0.[CardCode],T0.[OriginNum],T0.[Comments] order by T0.[DocNum]

Try this query for received serial number:

SELECT T0.[DocNum] as Prod#, T0.[CardCode] as CustCode,T0.[OriginNum] as SO#, T0.[ItemCode],  T0.[CmpltQty], T3.[IntrSerial],T0.[Comments] as Remark FROM OWOR T0  INNER JOIN WOR1 T1 ON T0.DocEntry = T1.DocEntry left join  SRI1 T2 on  T2.[BsDocEntry] = t0.docentry left join OSRI T3 on T2.SysSerial = T3.SysSerial and T3.[ItemCode] = T0.[ItemCode] WHERE T2.[BsDocType]  = '202' and T0.[ItemCode]  = [%0] and  T2.[BaseType] = '59' and T0.[Status] IN ('r','l') and T0.[CmpltQty] <> '0' GROUP BY T0.[DocNum], T0.[ItemCode],  T1.[IssuedQty], T3.[IntrSerial],T0.[CardCode],T0.[OriginNum],T0.[Comments],T0.[CmpltQty] order by T0.[DocNum]

Let me know your feedback.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Can't test right now,but looks like should work. But this is not the big issue. Big issue is that there is no link between production order, inventory issue and goods receipt in the production model.

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you mean Receipt from and issue components for production order?

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

yes, I just noticed they actually have baseentry and basetype so they are traceable as long as you do a one-piece at a time production. Also base doc and target doc buttons disabled.

Quite a pain in the a** but should do the trick...

Thanks!

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for feedback.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. You can trace by opening receipt and issue window to check issued and received serial for particular production order. For this open Receipt from production, Right click and choose serial transaction report. same way for Issued to production.

2. To trace issue and receipt, run below query to check issued batch number. Try to modify below query to get serial numbers. Let me know if you are getting any problem for modifying the query.

SELECT T0.[DocNum] as Prod#,T0.[OriginNum] as SalesOrd#, T0.[Project] as Job#,T0.[DueDate],T0.[PlannedQty] as PlanQty,case when (T3.[BaseType] = '59' and  T3.[Direction] = '0' and T0.[ItemCode] = T3.[ItemCode] ) then  'Received' end as Direction,T0.[ItemCode], T3.[Quantity], T3.[BatchNum], case when (T2.[BaseType] = '60' and T2.[Direction] = '1' and T1.[ItemCode] = T2.[ItemCode] ) then 'issued' end Direction, T2.[Quantity], T2.[ItemCode], T2.[BatchNum] FROM OWOR T0  INNER JOIN WOR1 T1 ON T0.DocEntry = T1.DocEntry left  join IBT1 T2 on T2.[BsDocEntry]  = t0.docentry and T2.[BsDocLine]  =  T1.[LineNum] left  join IBT1 T3 on T3.[BsDocEntry]  = t0.docentry and T0.[ItemCode] = T3.[ItemCode] WHERE T2.[BsDocType]  = '202' and  (T0.[Status] = 'R' OR T0.[Status] = 'L' )  and  T0.[ItemCode]  = [%0] order by T0.[Project]

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply, but:

1. But how do we control what serial numbers for each part we used to create the final product specific serial? (I use engine #003 and radio #376) to create product with serial #076. And we always produce in quantities greater than 1.

2. This query is not returning any rows. I am inputing a final product code, with production orders, and nothing shows up.

3. It sounds really complicated to have to open both receipt and issue to track a single manufacturing operation.

4. Besides that, what is the exact workflow? I don't quite understand issue and receipt, should I run both independently?

It is all quite non-sense for me. I can't see any traceability. I can't see base & target document work either. I think it's quite the only SBO module that looks so complicated. The rest of them are really easy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We having the same situation.

The issue solved by using a customized SDK.

Thanks

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

So does this mean that SBO cannot handle the most basic manufacturing process??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Probably B1 is not design to focus on manufacturing industry.

We do the tracking start from key in each part S/N in customer equipment card and each SN (including the finish product SN) can be track through the item master data of each part.

Thanks

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. But how do we control what serial numbers for each part we used to create the final product specific serial? (I use engine #003 and radio #376) to create product with serial #076. And we always produce in quantities greater than 1.

Please provide an sample process production with FG item and components with required serial format to check

2. This query is not returning any rows. I am inputing a final product code, with production orders, and nothing shows up.

As mentioned, the above query works for batch managed items. Once we conclude process, I can try modify above query to meet your purpose.

3. It sounds really complicated to have to open both receipt and issue to track a single manufacturing operation.

You can use relationship map option to view both issue and receipt for single production.

4. Besides that, what is the exact workflow? I don't quite understand issue and receipt, should I run both independently?

Standard work flow for production order:

1. Create bill of material

2. Create planned production order based on above BOM

3. Make sure required components are arrived.

4. Change planned to released status.

5. Issue components to production by issue production

6. Receive finished item from production through receipt from production.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

1. Sample process:

We create a BOM for article FB000001SA (managed by serial numbers), which is composed of one unit each of FB000004SA,FB000003SA, FB000005SA,FB000002SA,FB000006SA. All issued manually. Items FB000005SA and FB000006SA do not have serial numbers, all others do.

We create a production order based on BOM above.

We already had the components in stock.

Change the status to released.

Issue items for production

Receive items from production

(Just realized that this is just fake, issue and receive to/from production is just bare inventory issue/receipt with caption change, same tables, same untraceability)

So, there's actually no way to know what serials compose a final product, is it?

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

So tracking is  problem not process? Let me try to create query to meet your purpose.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagarajan

sergi_maudet2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Both are a problem.

I obviuously cannot decide what part serial numbers make a final product (as it is just an inventory issue) nor track what the final product was made of (serial numbers).