cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find more information about deivered improvements?

Jelena
Active Contributor

Upon finding an item on the SAP Improvement Finder, how can the SAP customers get additional information on how the improvement looks like exactly and what does it actually do? For example, there is something called Sales Order Monitor that seems interesting from the description. But there seems to be no detailed information in the note and even Google finds nothing for 'VA06 site:sap.com'.

To suggest this improvement to our business users, we'd need to know at minimum what selection criteria the "monitor" would have (I'm assuming this is a report) and what information will it provide exactly. How would we know this and, as a side question, why this information is not included right there on the finder website?

Thank you.

P.S. Wow, first discussion ever in the space - surely there must be a badge for that!

Jelena
Active Contributor

NOTE: SAP Improvement Finder has been decommissioned since this question was posted. The announcement about VA06 transaction can be found in this SAP note:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1797205

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

KatrinPietsch
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

we understand your point, and think it's very valid. We'll look into how we can enhance the Improvement Finder website to address your feedback. This is not a quick fix, I know, and probably not the answer you were looking for - but we'll need some time fo figure out how we can do it, and I wanted to at least let you know that we are working on it.

Please continue to point out to us what we can improve to allow as many customers as possible to benefit from the improvements which we deliver through the Customer Connection program.

Regards,

Katrin on behalf of SAP's Customer Connection team

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Katrin, thank you for a response. In this particular case I'm curious - why the information that Jurgen posted here wasn't simply added to the note? This wouldn't require any changes in the web site design and documentation was already written for the transaction. So it shouldn't have taken someone more than 20 min. to add an attachment to the referenced note.

Or even posting a document on SCN would be helpful. E.g. before posting this discussion I googled 'VA06 site:sap.com' but came up empty-handed. So really this seems not as much of a problem with the website design but with the willingness to share information, doesn't it?

KatrinPietsch
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena, I agree it would make sense to include the information in the note. We'll follow up with the developer in charge. I don't think this is about the willingness to share information - quite the contrary, of course we want every customer to benefit from the improvements we deliver in Customer Connection! We'll have to make sure that every developer who is involved in delivering Customer Connection improvements is aware of what information we need to provide through which channels, to allow customers to actually make use of the improvements.This is exactly what we'll work on, however it will take us some time, not least because of the current vacation period. I'll keep you in the loop on our progress.

Katrin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nicolas_busson
Active Contributor

Dear Jelena,

You're making a VERY good point here... But as a CRM consultant I probably got used to not having any kind of good documentation that clearly states" if you activate this improvement, you will get this, but you will loose this and that etc....". So now I just implement everything in a sandbox system: this is probably what SAP would call "best practice" (I call it "how is it possible that small companies can afford so many expensive systems?").

But what is more important for me, is when the prerequisites are not even correct: so be careful. Last year we upgraded our sandbox systems for both CRM and ECC in order to implement this BIG improvement:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_crm700_ehp03/helpdata/en/91/2d475111e78f60e10000000a44176d/content.htm?f...

(ok that's a business function, but I don't see any difference with so-called improvements).

As you can see, the online help states IS-UT 6 EhP6 or higher is required. So we upgraded to EhP7... but activating the business function just broke our system: error messages were thrown from everywhere. So I opened an OSS message and here is the response I got from the last level of support: if you want to know the exact prerequisites for a business function or an improvement, open a customer incident and wait for the answer from development support.

So I guess that's the guys we should ask what their programs are meant to do... and by the way: my company was charged 240€ for opening this customer incident (because we are value-added-reseller). As far I can see, documentation was not even updated with the right prerequisites...

Here is an extract from the customer incident:

In the end as it was already quite some work to upgrade our systems to CRM7.0 EhP3 and ECC6 EhP7, we gave up and decided to try again next year.

Cheers,

Nick.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jelena, I hope that you can get an official answer. I am totally with you, many of these new things are not at all well documented and it takes hours (days) to get somehow to a very little information.

Your luck that I selected a wrong entry from F4 help in SE93 today, exact this VA06 transaction

And the docu is behind the blue info button in the selection screen. A preferred place for me, but much to late if you have not yet activated a business function or whatever is needed to get it work.

Because of that I decided to copy it to here (what I usually do not do):

Short text

Sales Order Monitor

Purpose

With this program you can monitor the processing status of sales orders and the related logistical order fulfillment. In particular, the program illustrates problematic situations for the order fulfillment which require manual activities as for instance incompleteness for the sales order, a delivery block, or unconfirmed items.

Features

On the selection screen of this program you enter selection criteria for sales orders which you want to monitor. After you have started the selection, the program displays the result screen consisting of a list with selected sales orders, called header list, and a list with items of a sales order that you have selected from the header list. At the beginning, the program shows the items of the first sales order from the header list.

Selection

The selection screen consists of three main parts. In the Processing Status group box you specify how you want to select sales orders with regard to the processing status. On the tab pages below the group box, making up the second main part, you can enter typical attributes for sales orders and sales order items such as the document number, the document date, the material etc. which allows you to narrow down the selection. For performance reasons, the entry for the document date is mandatory. In particular, when you have created an implementation for BAdI SD_OSO_MONITOR you can also specify own defined selection criteria on the Enhancements tab page. In the Program Control group box as third main part, you can specify layout variants for the header and item list on the result screen. In addition, you can specify that the system selects complete sales orders with all items when you specify item related selection criteria.

In the Processing Status group box you have three options to specify how you want to select sales orders with regard to the processing status. When you choose All Sales Orders the system selects sales orders according to the selection criteria in the second main part irrespective of the processing status. As a consequence, you can also see sales orders, for which the order processing is already complete.

When you choose option Processing Not Yet Complete the system selects all sales orders for which the order fulfillment is yet not complete. In this program, completeness of order processing takes a logistical point of view. Order processing is complete when you have created deliveries for all items relevant for shipping - for the complete order quantity -, and when you have completely posted the goods issue for the deliveries.

With option Specific Processing Status you can select sales order having a specific order processing status. Select the checkbox of the order processing status you are interested in. You can also select several checkboxes. In this case, the system aggregates the result of selected sales orders for each order processing status. For instance, when you select the Incomplete checkbox and the Delivery Block checkbox the system selects sales orders that have incompleteness or a delivery block or both incompleteness and delivery block.

Note the following specifics of the order processing status parameters:

Incomplete - refers to the configuration of incompleteness for header and item data of sales orders in the Customizing for Sales and Distribution.

Delivery Block - considers a delivery block for the header of a sales order and for schedule lines.

Unconfirmed items exists - partially confirmed sales order items are considered as well.

Items with Confirmed Delivery Date After Requested Delivery Date - sales order items with several confirmations for partial quantities are considered if the latest confirmation date is after the requested delivery date.

Delivery Open - sales order items with deliveries which do not cover the full order quantity are considered as well.

Backorders - in this program, backorder circumstance is given for a sales order item when the material staging date of a confirmed schedule line for which there are not deliveries for the complete confirmed quantity is in the past. Backorders are a subset of the Delivery Open processing status.

Open Good Issue - you have created deliveries for the complete order quantity of a sales order item but you have yet not completely posted the goods issue for these deliveries

Missing Order Acknowledgement for Individual Procurement - a sales order item is considered when an order acknowledgement is requested for the related purchase order item an no order acknowledgement has yet been received. When there is an order acknowledgement, also for a lower quantity than the order quantity of purchase order item the sales order item falls out of the selection.

Goods Receipt behind Schedule for Individual Procurement - a sales order item is considered when the delivery date for the related purchase order item - either the delivery date in the PO item or the delivery date of the earliest order acknowledgement - is in the past and no goods receipt has yet been posted. When there is a goods receipt, also for a lower quantity than the order quantity of the purchase order item or the quantity of an order acknowledgement with delivery date in the past, the sales order item falls out of the selection.

Missing Invoice from Vendor for Third-Party Delivery - a sales order item is considered when the aggregated quantity of vendor invoices does not cover the full order quantity of the related purchase order item.

Additionally, note the following performance related aspects. For some order processing status parameters - Late Confirmation, Backorders, Open Goods Issue, and the processing status parameters for individual procurement - the system has to perform several analysis steps to select corresponding sales orders. For these order processing status parameters, SAP recommends to narrow down the selection by suitable selection criteria in the second main part of the selection screen. For instance, when you have selected one of the order processing status parameters for individual procurement it is reasonable to specify the item categories that trigger individual procurement in your company.

Output

The screen with the result of the selection comprises two lists. In the header list on top of the screen you can see the selected sales orders. In the item list, you can see the items of a sales order selected from the header list. At the beginning, the program shows the items of the first sales order from the header list. To display items of another sales order, use the Show Items function for the relevant sales order in the ItemOvervw column of the header list or double-click the relevant sales order line in the header list.

The selection screen looks this way:

the result that way:

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, Jurgen! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. And since the documentation exists already, how difficult it is to copy-paste it to the finder website (at least in English)?

I still hope to get an "official answer" as well (hence not closing the discussion yet). Just last year we spent days doing some Basis voodoo, enhancement activation, BADI implementations, etc. to get one QM enhancement up and running only to find out that it was not at all what we expected and completely useless to us (because of a technical restriction).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thank you very much for giving the user guidance of VA06 monitor. Would please mention the criteria of the report for bottom of the selection/ input screen as high lighted below?

Regards

Chandra