cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Control of SAP HANA VIEWS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any idea how a version control of SAP HANA VIEWS can be achieved in HANA Studio?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

WWhat kind of views? SQL views or models? All repository objects are version managed automatically. Every activation creates a new version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks  a lot Thomas to spare time for me on ansering this!

Modelling Views, not neccessariliy created in repository. I mean if I simply create package and create Models inside, repository doesn't come in picture anywhere.I undertsand HANA Projects/Apps that you had walked us through in your Open SAP course are linked to repository.How that is relavant in case of Modelling Views?

Moreover if I am using SAP HANA Live BI content (All Model Views) say version X and I get Version Y after few months from SAP. I am looking forward to selectively upgrade to version Y over version X. Is there any way?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You misunderstand what the repository is. All modeled views, regardless of if they are created via the Modeler Perspective or the Development Perspective, are repository objects and are version managed.

>I am looking forward to selectively upgrade to version Y over version X.

Selective upgrade would be a complete different topic. This isn't version management.  There is no functionality to do a selective upgrade one object at a time. Nor would this really make sense. You have dependencies between objects that would break if only certain objects were upgraded.

Former Member
0 Kudos

regarding the upgrade..what I was thinking is...have Y version upgrade (new models) override all X version (old models) and then selectively restore the required X version from repositories....so I kind of combined these two topics....

So as I understand correctly...I should be able to restore from repository any version of Model regardless of which pperspective they are created from.?

Thanks!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes regardless of which tool is used to create the object, anything created in a package is a repository object and version managed.  Incidentally objects created via the modeler perspective can later be edited via the developer perspective/project and vice versa. 

>have Y version upgrade (new models) override all X version (old models) and then selectively restore the required X version from repositories..

Doing so to an SAP object would be the same as just directly modifying it.  This would violate your support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>have Y version upgrade (new models) override all X version (old models) and then selectively restore the required X version from repositories..

Doing so to an SAP object would be the same as just directly modifying it.  This would violate your support.

--Okay. Thanks very much for clarifications.

Regarding , Restoring the older version of a model, is there any provision.?

In this case it is not a SAPProvided Model View, but the one created newly by a developer.

e.g. if he/she changed the model 3 times ( say added one column every time) and also activated on all 3 occaisons. There will be 1 , 2, 3 VERSION Numbers We could see after rightclik and naviagte to "History" of the Model View.Is there any way I can go back to Version 1 ?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Is there any way I can go back to Version 1 ?

From the History view, choose Check Out and Rebase to Active.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah. I remember you showing us this in the course.

Version of SAP HANA Studio on my machine is 1.0.7300

1st Screen shot is to Navigate to History.

In 2nd Screen Shot , RIght Click on Version Row doesn't work. There is no right click possible.

Do I need to be in different perspective?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No you need the SP8 (Rev80 and higher) of the Studio.  We've always tracked the versions, but haven't always had the tools in the studio to interact with the versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great...Thanks very much for all these replies and sparing your valuable time !

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member205400
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Answers (0)