Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP 7 Upgrade - Impact on ESS MSS - Webdynpro Java

VWITS01
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Here I am seeking some assistance and information for my better understanding on the risk factors for EHP7 upgarde - as of now client is at EHP3.

Since ESS/MSS is webdynpro Java based and now when we are looking forward for EHP7 technical upgrade not functional, we have got concerns on the custom application on ESS and MSS.

Please giude me with the impact on customised ESS /MSS application after EHP 7 upgrade.

We are finding it difficult to understand.

I would like to know much more info on EHP upgrade risk factors.

Looking out for revert.

Many thanks.

Priya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sahirn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As per my understanding - you can continue to use the custom java WD applications by customizing the newly delivered ESS/MSS roles.

This could be done by modifying the launch for ESS and MSS if you opt NWBC or my modifying the ESS/MSS portal roles for the new release.

Await inputs from others as well.

Regards,
Sahir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your existing custom applications of WDJ and WDA will not be impacted with upgrade. You can use them as is.

Even after upgrade if you want you can continue with ur old WDJ role or u can create a new role with EhP7 apps or u can also have a hybrid with the combined WDJ and WDA apps

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I agree with above, You don't need to change anything but use new roles for EHP7 ie Java ones, you just deploy new BPs and it doesn't effect your custom applications, of course you need to readjust them in New repository explained earlier http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/hcm/employee-self-service/blog/2014/04/18/hcm-ehp5-ehp6-and-hr-rene...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

VWITS01
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Siddarth,Yugandhar,Wilman and Sahir for your invaluable inputs.

I am not closing this thread because we are still in due deligence phase , we may come across with some more doubts in very near future and hence can use this thread to get in touch with experts.

At this point of time, our vision is clear at certain extent.

Many thanks for all your support.

Regards

Priya

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Close this thread and open a new one for each new query, You ll always get attention.

VWITS01
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Adding to my last update/concern, I would like to have more info on my below query please

We are currently at below BP:

SAP ESS 603 SAP MSS 600 and PCUI_GP 603

and are planning to upgrade SAP Netweaver 7.01 to 7.4 and ECC 6.0 EHP 3 to EHP 7.

1) We have done some customization on standard SAP ESS MSS java applications.

As per your suggestion when we add new BPs to the SAP netweaver 7.4 then how our old webdynpro java customization on standard ESS / MSS applications will work with New BP - Kindly advice .

2) How can we take our previous versions of ESS 603 MSS 600 code to SAP NetWeaver 7.4.

There is a possibility of re-compiling the standard code but how much this is feasible.

How can we take over custom on standard codes to the upgraded SAP Netweaver 7.4.

Correct me please if I am not getting the stuffs properly.

Your Expert input on this would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Priya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I have implemented this upgrade

The upgrade of the Java packages is necessary because 7.4 runs on a newer Java engine (Java 6) compared to older portal installations that ran on Java 1.4 or below. This need for upgrading is also described in note 1681538. Basically SAP has taken the old XSS Java components and re-compiled them with Java 6 without introducing new functionality.

The new re-compiled Java packages for NW 7.3 are called ESS 633, MSS 630, PCUI_GP 633

If not installed this Package the applications not work.

Please check this links .

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-portal/migration-and-upgrade/blog/2013/01/09/upgrading-to-nw-...

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPHCM/How+to+determine+the+correct+component+combination+in+ES...

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=316769135

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-portal/blog/2013/12/16/ess-and-mss-configuration-in-sap-porta...

SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.3 – Top 10 lessons learned from ramp-up you should know before getting starte...

Regards

Wilman S

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Above links are very informative for you to consider for your upgrade from EHP4, no functionality has changed on Java, but there is a different between EHp3 to EHp4. You need to check this and readjust your code if you have modified or enhanced the existing applications. typical recommendation is to go to ABAP WD based BPs as no newer functionality is available in Java WD and wont be enhanced further. Please note using new WD ABAP, will require new roles and its a project in itself. But since you are already doing major upgrade, you can consider this as you ll get the latest technologies and many new functionalities

VWITS01
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siddharth,

Thanks for your invaluable suggestion and I really count on your expert inputs.

We are also now looking forward to go to ABAP WD as per your suggestion and also after exploring a lot.

Somewhere its mentioned that some of the applications which are there in Java will still be java and wont be available in WDA EHP7 - could you please throw some light on how many Java application would be available in WDA EHP7 and which would still be there in Java.

This info can make us to think in broader way.

Many thanks for all your inputs.

Regards

Priya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Employee search i.e. whos who is in Java,I think apart from that rest all are available in WDA

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Well if you go to latest release in Hr renewal 2.0, You would get the employee search for Managers and HR admin now. Whos who as such is discontinued ALl the functionality is now available in Hr renewal which where there in JAVA

VWITS01
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Siddharth,

Thanks for your valuable input.

Could you please suggest if we can go with Webdynpro ABAP instead carrying Java.

Is it recommendable to buisness to go with ABAP - since we are in due deligence phase, need to understand the consequences.

We are at EHP3 having WD Java and ABAP both and while doing technical upgrade to reach EHP7, What could be the risk facorts if we leave Java behind and move with ABAP.

Many thanks for your expert input.

Priya