cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version of CR report viewer still shows 13.0.2000 for CR for VS2013

cecilia_schultz
Explorer
0 Kudos

We have a web site that is in Windows Server 2008 R2, it has VS2010 and Crystal for VS2010 (CRforVS_13_0_2.exe)

when I see a web page that has a CR report viewer component, I see

<%@ Register assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=13.0.2000.0 .. PublicKeyToken=692FBEA5521E1304" namespace="CrystalDecisions.Web" tagprefix="CR" %>

when I see the reference, it says Version=13.0.20000.0  and Runtime=v2.050727.

Looking at the CrystalDecisions.Web.dll file version=13.0.1.220, same product version, size = 448 KB, with date timestamp of 3/3/2011.

Now we are in the process of migrating this to Windows Server 2012 R2, installed VS2013, and also installed the latest CR for VS2013 (CRforVS_13_0_10.exe).

However, when I create a website, a web form, and form, and I add a CR Report Viewer component, I see the  same entry as the one in the "old" server, i.e, an entry with the same Version 13.0.20000.0 is created and even same PublicKeyToken.

shouldn't this be version 13.0.10?

Any help is much appreciated

Cecilia

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cecilia

The assembly version number never changes. The file version of the assembly does. That is what you want to look at. It should match most of the other dlls in C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

cecilia_schultz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

First just a short note to deeply thank you for the wonderful support you provide to the developer community. It is much appreciated.

Now to the question. Could you clarify the *never* part when hen you say "the assembly version number never changes?

I was just checking the samples I found from one of your postings and
the csharp simper preview report example has this in the WebForm1.aspx:

<% register tagPrefix="cr" Namespace="CrystalDecisions.Web" Assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web", Version=9.1.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304" %>

Clearly the version is different in those examples.

Thanks

Cecilia

0 Kudos

Hi Ceceilia,

The Assembly version changes from CR to CR version but it does not change from within the same version of the CR assemblies.

So you always see the version is 13.0.2000:

To find the actual patch level or version number you can get if from the Add/Remove or Programs and Features:

Or in the GAC:

Don

cecilia_schultz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks very much Don. So we can expect the CR version to change in the next major version right? (for example 14 or something like that).

In that case, what would the strategy be when we need to upgrade to the next version? i.e. we have about a hundred web forms that currently have the assembly entry like this:

<%@ register assembly ="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=13.0.20000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692FBEA5521E1304" namespace="CrystalDecisions.Web" tagprefix="CR" %>

What will happen when the next CR version comes, do we have to change every single form in our web application? or is possible that we can have the "old" version installed to handle the existing reports, and also have the new version installed to handle newly created forms with the new references? 

Thanks

Cecilia

0 Kudos

Hi Cecilia,

The Process won't change at all, You would install the updated runtime on the DEV PC and when you open your project Visual Studio will simply update the major version in the web.config file.

Web Version is the Assembly version, it can change, the public tokens always stay the same. As far as I know...

There is a version 14 now, it's for BOE Enterprise .NET SDK and used to connect to the BOE Servers.

As far as I know CR for VS will be the SDK for all upcoming and future releases, or at least that is the current plan...

Why are you asking?

Don

cecilia_schultz
Explorer
0 Kudos

No, the web.config file is not the only place where the reference to the CR version exists.

We have a web application which has a repository of reports.

Each "report" is really a set of 2 webforms, for example GL0010.aspx (and aspx.cs) the first one gathers all the input parameters.

The 2nd one (for example GL0010View.aspx (and aspx.cs) has all the code to gather the data for the report, pass the parameters, and shows the report. This 2nd form has a Crystal Report Viewer reference in it. that has version number, etc.

so if there is a change in the version number, hundreds of forms will need to be updated, accordingly, right? unless somehow we can have the older one and the new CR co-exist..? or until all have been migrated to the new CR?

I ask because right now we are moving to OS 2012, VS2013 and CR for VS2013 from an older enviroenment (2008 server OS, VS2010, and CR for VS2010), the app also uses Microsoft Report Viewer and the version for the new environment seems to be a big change. The person working on that is currently facing a challenge to make it work. I have not experienced that yet, the reports work without a change in CR for VS2013, but I was wondering if that will change if CR was to move to a new version.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cecilia

Don is supposedly on vacation until Wednesday (supposedly cause he often jumps on here even on his vac). In any case. As Don said there are already version 14 assemblies. These are from the BI Platform product. At this time, version 13 assemblies is all that is planned for future releases of CR for VS. We can not however guarantee that in the future there will not be an assembly of version 15 (or what ever) released for What ever version of CR and what ever version of VS. E.g.; say MS comes out with VS 2019, it may be that we will need to re-version the assembly versions to say, v. 15. And yes, in that case you will need to recompile the app.

In my view, it is a best practice to recompile the app even when just updating your install with a Service Pack. Obviously this would be an absolute requirement if the SP has a fix that you need for your app...

I am not sure about the challenges you mention in your last paragraph, Perhaps a few details may help(?).

- Ludek

cecilia_schultz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek and Don,

Thank you very much for your feedback, you've answered it. Basically, all the references to older assemblies had to be changed to refer the new ones.

Cecilia

Answers (0)