Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Sender channel - which Gateway to chose

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am on PI 7.4 AEX and configuring a sender RFC scenario ELSTER (= German Tax). According to SAP Help here I should give the application system (HCM) system in RFC server parameter of PIs sender channel. I should also have the HCM system in the SM59 destination within HCM as gateway-host and gateway service

Configuring the Sender RFC Adapter - Advanced Adapter Engine - SAP Library

However, there's also a note here, that states that it might be sensible to use the PIs own gateway http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/730870 Question 31

What's best practice here and if I would / need to go with option specified in Question 31 of 730870, how would I fill sender RFC channel and SM59 destination in sender system?

Many thanks

Jens

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor

After some weeks of testing this it turned out that while both options seem to work, for our situation having the gateway on the PI system seemed to be wiser as the HCM system gets restarted for offline backup every weekend and PI creates alerts for that time. However, no other problems so far with the current configuration having gateway on HCM

Cheers

Jens

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, as Iñaki proposed, any "RFC-sender-PI 7.31 / 7.4 AEX-expert" reading this who can enlighten us?

Thanks and kind regards

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

As per my understanding about your query, below are the probable configurations;

1. Configure RFC Destination of type 'T' (TCP-IP Connection) in SAP HCM with below details;

Under 'Technical Details' Tab,

Activation Type - 'Registered Server Program'

Program ID - 'TEST123' (any meaningful name)

Gateway Host - 'Host Name of SAP PI AEX server'

Gateway Service - 'sapgwXX' (Central Instance No. of SAP PI AEX server).

2. Configure RFC Sender Adapter with below details,

Under RFC Server Parameter,

Application Server (Gateway) - 'Host Name of SAP PI AEX server'

Application Server Service (Gateway) - 'sapgwXX' (Central Instance No. of SAP PI AEX server)

Program ID - 'TEST123' (any meaningful name) IMP Note - should be same as mentioned above.

Under RFC Server Parameter,

Application Server - Server IP/Hostname of SAP HCM Server

System No - System No of SAP HCM Server

Logon User - Username of SAP HCM Server

Logon Password - Password of above username

Logon Client - Client of SAP HCM Server

Try with above configurations and test your sender RFC scenario.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Amit Patil

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit / All others,

your configuration did work. I tested this out of curiosity yesterday, already. However, If I would have setup using HCM server and HCM gateway in RFC Destination Type "T" and in RFC Sender Channel section "RFC Server Parameter" it will work, too.

So question remains: Which one to prefer? Having feedback from you guys I would tend to opt for the PI server / PI gateway but I'm not completely sure what the drawbacks of that approach would be. Right now I can think of none but then again I'm in no means an expert when it comes to networking or server basics like gateway.

Cheers

Jens

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

You can give a chance to post your question in a forum with more basis experts like

Regards,

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

It's better to follow the SAP notes prior to SAP.HELP documentation because they sometimes correct bad functionality and they are raise for known problems in the usual usage. However, the note that you pointed out said "the general recommendation is to use SAP Gateway to register the RFC Sender Channel that is on the same host as the RFC Sender Channel's AE", this means that it's recommendable to have the gateway nearest possible to the PI.

On other terms, is it mandatory to use RFC sender in your scenario?, it's safer and easier to use a sender ABAP proxy.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Iñaki,

unfortunatelly using sender RFC is behavior of SAP standard content (and HCM system behavior) for this process. So I cannot revert to ABAP proxy, which would be my natural choice if I could implement on a green field approach.

You said

"the general recommendation is to use SAP Gateway to register the RFC Sender Channel that is on the same host as the RFC Sender Channel's AE", this means that it's recommendable to have the gateway nearest possible to the PI.

Wouldn't that mean using the PIs very own gateway then? One couldn't get more near then that, right? 🙂 As said I'm on PI 7.4 AEX with a central adapter engine (no decentral adapter engines in place).

Thanks and kind regards

Jens

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

I haven't worked with Human Resources standard, even in ABAP ECC world. I have had some problems with the RFC sender in the past (XI 3.0 and PI 7.0), i had to restart and to reactivate the channel with certain frecuency, the main problem was, as you have detected, the gateway situation, system orverload, network issues an so on.

Wouldn't that mean using the PIs very own gateway then? One couldn't get more near then that, right? 🙂 As said I'm on PI 7.4 AEX with a central adapter engine (no decentral adapter engines in place).

Yes, if i was you i would configure the gateway in the PI AEX.

May be you should wait to another SCN member with more experience using RFC sender channel in the 7.31 or 7.4 PI java single stack.

Regards and good luck.