cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit conversion for units from different UoM families

0 Kudos

Hello Sap Experts,

We have materials Rods which are purchased in kg from and stored in meters. Actually the rods are used in the manufacture of one of our

finished product called Thermowell and each thermowell would be of maximum length 400mm which means in 1 meter you can approximately

manufacture 3 or 2 with 380mm and 1 with 180 mm

We have defined the theoretical conversion which is as per material standards for example 1 meter of 36 dia SS316 rod would be equal to 8 kg

similary 1 meter of SS316 rod 40 dia would be 11 kg and so on.

When we create a PO for purchase of these rods we enter qty to be purchased in kg for eg 200 kg. In the quantities/weight tab system picks up

the quantity in meter. For example it would be 40.34 meter. However as I see this field is a non editable.

However when we receive the material though the weight supplied would be 200 kg it may not happen the diameter of the rod is 36.00mm it could

be 37mm and this variation causes the length to be more or less i.e may be we might receive 42 meter or 38 meters. Now what

happens is when we do goods receipt again we are not able to change the quantity received in meters hence system stores it as 38 of 42. In both the cases if the qty stored is less though physically material is not available system would say it is available and vice versa.

Is there any way we could change the quantity received in meters at the time of goods receipt without changing the quantity in kg?

-Thanks,

Vaibhav

Subject title edited by Moderator.

Please use precise and effective subject title to represent your discussion.

Message subject line was edited by: Jyoti Prakash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It can be handled with batch management material with batch classification. You can maintain the conversion for every batch. You just need to change the batch classification in MSC2N, then you can do GR for this batch.

Suppose you have made a PO 1 KG with 10 M (1 KG = 10 M).

You have created the batch as same classification of 1 KG = 10 M.

Now your conversion has changed to 1 KG = 12 M. Then you just need to change the batch classification as 1 KG = 12 M.

Now at the time post GR, system will pick the conversion as 1 KG = 12 M.

The same procedure we are running in our organization.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Thanks for your valuable reply.

As per your suggestions and document I am able to solve my problem.

It will be helpful if you could explain the impact of using batch specific unit on  system because I have already maintained alternate unit and conversion  in additional data tab of material master.

Also is there any impact on MRP run due to batch specific unit managed stock?

Thanks

Vaibhav

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can have a look into the document

Look into the portion "Batch Specific UoM in MRP (Inventory Correction Factor)"

Prasoon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hope the MRP part is already explained in the doc mentioned in my previous comment.

For additional information, please check the note:  362932 - Conversion with proportion/product units  - Point Number 2; and the KBA  2019305 - Common errors during material goods movement posting with batch specific unit of measure

Regards,

AKPT

Prasoon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You may check the functionality of batch specific UOM. Please check the doc: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a021e088-3428-2d10-799d-a69349248...

Regards,

AKPT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,,

Create PO in M

When you received material Change purchase order as per M and KG conversion

Post GR

Second option

Create PO in M

Use over delivery tolerance

Post GR and adjust qty in M and KG

If you have both filed in display mode in PO and GR better to check field selection at document level and mvt type level.