cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cut over activities to implement Quality for fg ?

maheshkumar_komatineni
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Gurus,

can any body Let Me know what are the Cut over activities Need to be done Before  Going To Implement Quality management To a Existing FG material.

At present Business is Not Using Quality process for FG materials know they want activate Quality type 04- GR from Production. so can any body let me Know What are all the Steps need to be taken before implementing the Quality for the FG"s.

we will have Pending Production orders,WIP orders, STO orders, Planned orders, sales orders so what will be the Impact if We activate the QM for the FG.

DO we need to close all the Above Elements Before Activating, please suggest the steps to be taken Before Activating the QM.

Regards,

Mahesh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh, I don't think that you need to close existing orders for this! As QM is currently not active all the existing stock would be in unrestricted use.

1. As per my understanding as soon as you activate 04 inspection type to any such material codes the next GR will post the stock in QI. For partially processed/GRed orders also.
  2. The only precaution that you need to take is you should create inspection plans for these materials before you activate inspection type in material master.
  3. This will avoid CRTD lot status

Anand

maheshkumar_komatineni
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Anannd,

thank you for the reply, so if i activate o4 gr from production it wll not affect other elements like Purchase orders, sales orders, sto .....

what about the in process Production orders do we need to close all the Pending and WIP production orders.. my question is when we raised the production order today and production end date is after 4 days . if we activated qm in between the GR of this Production order will be  impacted or not.

and the same for the orders which have created before and processed in future(existing Procudtion ordersin the system)

regards,
mahesh.

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, It will not affect Purchase order related inspection activities as there is a separate inspection type for this i.e. 01.

In my opinion, activating QM in between should not harm existing orders also for GR. I apply below logic for this

1. Let us say you have an order XYZ created for 100 PC on 29-Dec
  2. Partial GR for 30 PC is already done on 30-Dec
  3. On 31-Dec you activated QM. (Inspection type 04 is assigned in material master)
  4. Now if you try to do GR for remaining quantity (after the 04 is activated), then this stock will be posted to QI instead of unrestricted.
  5. And you need to clear the same through inspection lot.

Do you have any specific concern in your mind about GR for production end date after 4 days or thinking that this should be possible problem that may arise?

I suggest it is always better to simulate the similar and realistic test case in test server first before doing the same in Production in mass!

Anand

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

Adding a few points with QM approach to what Anand has mentioned -

a) Validate the below config nodes -

Quality Management => Quality Inspection => Inspection Lot Creation => Inspection for Goods Movements =>

i) Movement Type/Update Control/Inspection Lot Origin - Check MvT 563 for inspection Lot Origin. It should be "05". This should be active and you can assign the inspection type "05" to your data migration specific materials.

ii) Deactivate Quality Inspection for a Movement Type -  Check the MvT 561 and for this case "QM not Active" check should be added, to upload unrestricted stock.

iii) Post Cutover - Once the initial stock is uploaded, UD is made for all the inspection lots as "A" or "R", proper stock posting happened successfully, then you should deactivate the inspection type "05" form the migrated materials and revert these cutover specific configs,

b) In case if you have some Q-stock in your As-Is system -

you should move these stock to To-Be system as Q-Stock only. Use MB1C/MvT 563. You can have this material as Q managed + 04 inspection type added to do it.

c) If some materials are available in unrestricted use stock -

i) Segregate these materials, which are Q managed and which are not.

ii) Those are Q -managed, use MB1C/MvT 563 & put UD = A.

iii) Those materials are not Q managed, you can use MB1C/MvT 561 for initial entry post cutover.

d) Those materials are in blocked stock -

i) Segregate these materials as Q-managed and Q - not managed.

ii) If material is already Q-managed in As-Is system, then upload these stock using MB1C/MvT 563 + UD = R.

iii) If material is not Q-managed, then upload the stock using MB1C/MvT 565.

Form QM side, for the newly created inspection lots, before putting UD = A or R, user might wish to copy the inspection results form previous system, which you may also need to facilitate with data migration approach.

NOTE: It's always advice able, to test any such cutover specific proposals before hand, and only after business approval, you do it.

Please check and confirm.

Thanks,

Arijit

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Firstly a very Happy New Year to all!

Arijit, this approach is true when the organization is migrating to SAP from some other legacy system where they need to carry out entire cut over activities from MM side also! Like initial loading of stock.Thanks for sharing this!!

I guess in this case they already have some stock in hand (as PP is already in place) and which is lying in unrestricted use. If this is true then hopefully uploading new stock using 561 or 563 would not be required unless there are altogether some new material codes which were never transacted through PP and still the stock is lying on shop floor.

Anand

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

I think we can use this classical approach for all scenarios (irrespective of SAP/Legacy) and it should be like this -

i) Try to shot-close all the open items to as small list as far as possible. But realistically still there will be some half-baked PP orders, SD orders, etc available in the system, and for migrating it definitely some approach needs to be put in place.

ii) In case if some PP order is started in As-Is system, and some partial confirmation is done, then that GR stock is already classified in the As-Is system as unrestricted or blocked. So no harm in pushing these stock directly using MvT 561 or 565 without inspection lots created against them. And this becomes the starting point for further analysis.

iii) In the existing system if no QM is implemented now then only after cutover and stock upload, QM views needs to be implemented with insp type 01 , 04, etc.  First add insp type "05" during cutover and add no other inspection type at that time. Post cutover after stock validation is done pls remove insp type"05" and add "01", "04", "89" etc. If we do not have Q-implemented in As-Is system, so our case becomes simpler, and only MvT 561and 565 should be ok.

iv) For example, if there is an order of 100 PCE there in As-Is system with GR batch B1, partial GR posted of 20 PCE, then pls check if it is possible to shot close these orders there in As-Is system only, and create new orders in To-Be system for 80 PCE with the batch B1. Note that if for this new case 04 inspection type will be activated, the results can be added and QC for finished material can be generated for inspection lots 04.
Whereas, for the migrated material/batch, the inspection certificate (with migrated results) can be created from QC22 for the inspection type 05.

v) All logistic processes in the new system needs to be recreated afresh post cutover, like new sales order for differential quantity, new PP order with differential quantity, etc.

vi) Please note that as the As-Is and the To-Be systems are two different landscape, so partial transaction performed through PP in previous system will not impact here.

vii) It case if it's business critical to migrate the old production order form As-Is to To-Be system, where some operations were already confirmed, and some more pending to be confirmed -

a) Create a new PP order in To-Be system (Order with ext number range or internal number range)

b) activate 04 inspection type.

c) ONLY post the remaining confirmations which were not posted before in the previous system and consume remaining components against only these operations (MvT 261).

d) post partial GR or Full GR and this time a new inspection lot/lots will be created (with internal number range, based on insp lot control setup) And now on there will be Q-managed stock henceforth.

e) To generate a QC necessary for supporting a delivery, for this type of cases is a bit tricky  you can follow the below process -

> If the migrated batch number is same, add the quality results only in the new inspection lot and fire QC using QC22 against inspection lots form QA32.

> In case the As-Is GR batch and To-Be GR batch is different, you can get two QC's one for the 05 inspection lot (MvT 563) and one for the new GR batch with inspection type 04 (MvT 101/131). This case will only be valid for migrated batch stock and rest will follow the normal process.

NOTE: As I said before, the approach whatever you adopt needs to be tested before hand, and ensured that the process is working as expected.

Thanks,

Arijit

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arijit, I Agree! The assumption for above thesis is there are 2 different systems (System A and System B). A is the legacy and B is new SAP system.The legacy system A could be SAP itself (probably with older version of SAP on different server) or any other different system. It becomes imperative to follow above steps when you are migrating to altogether a new different system. You should close all the transactions in A and should freeze the stock taking statements so that no new material movement or any GL posting is made in system A. Before any new transaction is made in system B, the initial situation at B should be same as that of A. And for this initial stock loading is done. Many more other transactions also like vendor and customer balances are considered here. So this would be wider outlook of entire cut-over activities in that way!

But what about if it is the same system, the same server and the same plant? Do we need to upload the stock again even though it is already present?

My understanding (if I read the original posting)_SAP (System B) is already implemented and PP module is in use. System A does not exist anymore. They would have certainly carried out mega cut-over when B went Live. So now the stocks are being built by GR against production order itself in B. If there exists an order of 100 PC against which 30 are already delivered (in B), these should be present in unrestricted use. Do we need to upload stock of 30 PC again here using 563? I think Mahesh's concern is about what would happen if he activates QM at this stage in the same system where MM and PP are already in use. My further query is do we really need to short close existing production order before activating 04 inspection type in to existing system and why?

Anand