Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three questions regarding Chart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We are trying to find solutions to the following:

1) How to show data labels on top of stacked columns/to the right of stacked bars (only the TOTAL should show, not the data labels for the various elements)?

2) How to Sort columns/bars in a chart, based on key figure/measure value (High to low/low to high)?  (We can do this in the query and that will work but for various reasons we would rather do it in the chart itself...)

3) How to combine stacked columns/bars with line(s) in the same chart?

Thank you!!

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kristin,

To answer your questions:

1) Under Additional Properties of the chart, you can enable Data Labels by selecting "Show Data Labels". However, it is not possible to display ONLY the total, nor to align the data labels to the right of the columns.

2) It is possible to sort the chart based on Key Figure in the Initial View, or at run-time. You will, however have to sort only on the data source inside Design Studio itself - which is different from sorting on the query itself. This can be done, by right-clicking on the measure, and then navigating to "sort". You can set the option to sort in ascending or in descending order. The same will also apply to the chart. However, you cannot sort in the chart alone - there is no option on the charts.

3) One way to combine a stacked column with a line would be to overlay 2 charts on top of each other and set the plot background for the chart on top to be transparent. (You may face alignment issues when doing this)

The ends that you are trying to achieve may not be possible in a straight-forward manner (or possible at all) using the native DS components. In this case, you might be interested in trying out a custom component. You can find a list of such useful components here:

Thanks and Regards,

Eshwar Prasanna

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eshwar - very good - also on #2 please see Gayatri's

There is a wish that says "An option to sort data inside charts – ascending or descending or by value!"

I also liked Mustafa's response that we should go to Idea Place to vote - ideas.sap.com at SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio: Home

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kristen

Just as a follow up to this thread, I notice SAP are releasing a component in Nov 2015 which allows dual axis stacked and line chart.

Did you manage to get this working with overlay ?  I am finding it difficult to get both plot points lined up.

Wondering if you have any tips

Thanks
Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian!  The overlay did not work well for us, either. It only works to a certain point, but for instance when you size the window and use automatic scaling for the components then sooner or later it is not good enough.

We were not able to wait for the new components coming, so we did buy a SDK package from one of the vendors which already had the component (in our case we ended up with VisualBI). It solved our purpose!

Kind regards Kristin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.  I gave up on overlay once I had no more hair to rip out.....

We made do with the combination charts in the end (without the stacked functionality) in wait of the next release of BO > November.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ian