cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm planning to change a system to a new server and I'm checking the System Copy Guides. I've a doubt about the SID of the system. I want to replace te old system with the new one into new server but I want to have the same SID. Are there any problem? For requesting the license of system I need to request a key migration? Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using Database specific method of MSSQL DB, and the system to copy is a SAP BW system. Is it mandatory to make an export of source system? I've read that in Java system It must be necessary.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

Yes, you have to perform the Source system export, kindly refer the SAP Homogeneous System copy guide you can get the clarity more.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello S. Sriram,

I've checked the SC guide but I can't find where are indicated that in Database Specific method copy is mandatory to create an export of source system.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As the Java system is based on NW 7.0 you will need to do an export and import of the J2EE stack. For systems based newer NW release a backup and restore of the J2EE will be sufficient.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

On MS Sql there no DB specific options, You have to take the backup of exiting source system DB + system copy Export  & restore the DB to target + start the system import at target.

BR

SS

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan, Sriram, I want to copy a SAP BW system and Enterprise Portal. Netweaver (7.00 SPS17). Then it's necessary to make an export of ABAP system and Java system? I want to use Database specific method with backup and recovery. Will I need the source export of two systems? Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

1. Yes, You have to perform the exiting system (BW & Portal) exports and you can take the backup of exiting BW & portal DB

In Target system, restore the backup and perform the SAP standard system copy backup/ restore method.

2.  Once again on MS Sql DB don't have DB specific system copy method, you have to follow the SAP Standard Homogeneous system copy method.

3. If you are using VM without doing system copy physical host to VM conversion can be performed

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

U need only migration key in case of migration.

To check Kernel level just Right click on Sid on sap mmc > select version. U will find the kernel version.

Just update kernel to latest one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The platform information is:

Source Os > Win2003

Source DB > MSSQL 2005

Source SAP Vesion > Netweaver 7.0

Kernel --> 700_333

Target Os > Win2012

Target DB > MSSQL 2012

Target SAP Vesion > Netweaver 7.0

Preparation steps in the System copy guide, explains this:

Check the minimum kernel patch level required by the support package level of the source system. It might be necessary to replace the SAP kernel delivered with the installation kit and installed during the installation of the target system with a newer kernel patch level before starting the target system. If you have to replace the delivered SAP kernel, you can do this after the installation of the central instance.

Where can I check this minimum kernel level?

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

>>Where can I check this minimum kernel level?<<

Check the PAM entry for NetWeaver 7.0 and also check the SAP note 1651862 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 for the recommended SP levels.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I've checked the kernel version in PAM.

But It's mandatory to update kernel version on Source System to make the database specific method with Backup/Recovery to versión 7.21?

This update isn't update during the target installation?

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The kernel and the SP level requirements are for the target system and not for the source system. I cannot comment on the possibility of doing a backup and restore from source system on MSSQL 2005 to target system on MSSQL 2012 but I have done it using the export and import. You will need to use the recommended kernel while setting up the target system.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruben,

Although it is not mandatory to update source kernel, it is always recommended to update the source to a kernel which is more current and supported by SAP in case you run into any issue during export of source system. The system copy guide strongly recommends updating system copy tools such as R3load, R3ldctrl etc.

Using database specific method, you could potentially install the target with the same SAP kernel version and same version of database (MSSQL 2005) and later after copy upgrade to a more recent or supported version of MSSQL 2012, however export/import is much cleaner and recommended if your DB size is reasonable.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

1. Could you refer the SAP Note for minimum level of kernel support.

1732161 - SAP Systems on Windows Server 2012 (R2)

2. Could you share you SPS level?

BR

SS

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

I want to replace the old system with the new one into new server but I want to have the same SID.

Yes you could opt same SID for your new hardware migration (From old server hardware to new hardware). If your OS & DB remains same in migration to new hardware than you would perform a Homogeneous system copy procedures,in case any of the OS / DB changes than we need to opt Heterogeneous system copy methods ( During this process you requires Migration key as well ).

After successful migration of hardware, yes you would generate new license keys under Support portal .

Hope this will also be helpful for you.

Good luck !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

If you are changing the Operating System or Database then it will require you to use an R3Load based System Copy (Hetrogenerous). R3Load writes the OS and DB to the header data of the binary dump file and whill detect the change on Impoort and as such the SAP Software Provisioning Manager will request a Migration Key otherwise a migration key is not required.

A Homogenous System Copy can also be performed using the R3Load methodogy. If you hardware changed your Hardware ID will change you will need a new license key but you will not be prompted for a Migration Key.

Regards

Neil Ryan

SAP Active Global Support.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

A migration key is required if you are doing a heterogeneous system copy. Based on the subject line of the thread I believe you are doing a homogeneous system copy. In that case you do not need a migration key. You might need to request and install a new license for the SAP system after the system copy as the license key is based on the hardware key. If there wont be any change in the hardware key the old license should be sufficient. To know the hardware key you should run saplicense -get

Determining the Hardware Key - SAP Licenses - SAP Library

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

You don't need a migration key unless there is a change in OS/DB(from source to target).

Check note  547314 

regards,

pavan

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

please provide more details  like

Source Os , Source DB , Source SAP Vesion

Target Os , Target DB ,Target SAP Vesion

You will need new licenses and Migration Key anyway

Thanks ,

Manu

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Correction . migration Key required in case of Migration .

Send the below details

Source Os , Source DB , Source SAP Vesion

Target Os , Target DB ,Target SAP Vesion

Thanks  ,

Manu