cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exported pdf does not keep landscape orientation

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Crystal Reports Version 14.0.2.364

My report's page setup is landscape.  However, when I export it to a pdf, the pdf changes to portrait orientation.

The end user does not want to change printer settings every time they receive this pdf to make it print in landscape.

I cannot seem to find a solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

Find out what the users default printer is and then install it on your PC. In Page Setup select his printer and set the orientation accordingly as well as check on the Dissociate check box.

Do not use the Windows XPS printer as your default, it is not capable of printing Landscape. You can test this with any document....

This may work for you also:

Open the report and click the Export menu option and select the Report Export Options: ( this saves the defaults )

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Don.  Unfortunately, neither recommendation worked.

As soon as you try to print the pdf, the pdf reverts to "portrait" no matter which printer we choose.

Also, there will be several people trying to print this pdf, all with different printers.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

That is strange... can you attach a report with saved data, dummy data of course.

I'll test is also.

Click the Advanced editor and rename the rpt file to *.txt and then you can attach it.

Have you tried other printers?

What printer are they using as their default?

If they set the default property of the printer or create a new printer ( same one ) with the defaults set to landscape can they then print landscape PDF?

What happens if the take CR out of the picture, create a PDF defined as landscape and print that what happens?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Turns out it was an Adobe issue.  The Adobe default was set to portrait instead of auto orientation, so it was changing the pdfs to portrait.

Crystal Reports was working correctly!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

0 Kudos

Hi C Warner,

Can you please let me know how you changed the Adobe default layout to solve this problem?  I am also having a similar problem after converting a spool file from ABAP Report to PDF format.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anjana,

When you open your PDF, choose "File", "Print".

Your printer dialog box will open.  Choose your printer, then change the Orientation setting to "Auto portrait/landscape" and print.  (See screenshot below)

I originally had this set to portrait, so no matter what orientation my PDFs were in, it "forced" them to print in portrait.  Changing it to "Auto portrait/landscape" senses which format the original is in, and prints accordingly.

This solved my problem, hopefully it will work for you!

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply C Warner!  It seems to work for us with the test pdf file.  I had to always change the file to landscape format before printing.  Since the Program will be overwriting to the same file, changing the format to Auto now lets it keep that format as Auto which now the users will not have to change every time and the Report prints in landscape format automatically.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good to hear.

Happy to be of assistance!

Answers (0)