cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore - Load Transaction/Database: Rollback possible?

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I've one question. I am new in ASE business and try to do some restore tests.

Is it also possible to make rollback in case of an user-error?
Or do I always have to start with an load datbase and roll-forward all transaction logs till the specified time?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can load the database dump and subsequent tran log dumps up to the one containing the transaction that needs to be rolled back, and then load that one using the "with until_time" option to a point in time just before the transaction committed.  However, you cannot then load any further, any changes made after than point would be lost.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thx to everybody.

Sure, we are doing every day full-backup (to save time in case of restore) and for sure trans-logs.

So the answer is, no, it is not possible to rollback only with transaction logs.

I always have to restore 1st a full-dump and after that rolling forward to specified time.

Is that right?

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Christian,

Then you should be prepared to loose the data after the tran dump and before the crash so that you can restore till date backup and tran or load that one using the "with until_time" option to a point in time just before the transaction committed. Also you cannot then load data further, any changes made after than point would be lost for which you should be prepared.

Regards

Kiran K Adharapuram

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

So the suggested best practice would be one full backup once in 3 days or a week and timely transaction backups daily with considerable time gaps and you can restore may be as Bret specified if there is a dB crash or error also make sure you havetook backups of system databases once in a while and keep it safe 😉 🙂

Regards

Kiran K Adharapuram

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Christian,

Database refreshing is a process by which a Sybase database is overwritten or refreshed from an existing backup:

In general, it is more often that a backup of the current production database is taken and a copy of the same database in a development or testing environment is refreshed from this backup.

The database to be refreshed needs to be the same size or greater size as the source database with data and log segments created preferably in the image of the source database (otherwise data and log segments could mix upon refresh).

Regards

Kiran K Adharapuram