cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerBuilder 12.6 Runtime Packager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day!

I have installed the latest patch (Build 4035) and the runtime packager still does not list Oracle 12c. It only lists Oracle 11g.

When will this be fixed?

Thanks,

Tom

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom;

1) Yes, they should change the packager to state - driver for O11g or 12c.

2) The real "interface" driver is PB's ORA (aka PBORA126.dll) interface driver. That DLL in turn calls the real Oracle client.

FWIW: I think that Bruce's choice of the word "supported" is a good term, meaning to me that "it should work". However, I would be cautious of the 12c driver until its officially stated as "compliant" (something that I think we will not see in v12.6). I'm am sure that you have tested the DBMS interaction with 12c well ... though, its really only supporting the 11g feature set at the moment.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bruce & Chris!

How, though, am I to infer this? Support for Using PowerBuilder and Oracle - SAP PowerBuilder - SCN Wiki.

Fortunately, we have only implemented 12c new features in our DB code (package procedures and trigger, etc.).

Am I the only one that finds this disturbing?

Tom

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What Chris said (rephrased):

1.  11 and above is supported through the ORA driver (PBORA126.DLL).  Selecting 11 in the package will include that for support of 11 and beyond.

2.  PB 12.6 still only supports 11g features.  I found only partial success trying to use any of the new 12c features I found interesting to work with it:

• implicit result sets
  • 32K VARCHAR2 columns
  • identity columns
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback Bruce on your testing!  

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

w.r.t. to the thread topic (PB 12.6 runtime package), it looks like it is not possible to deploy 64bit Web Services from PB Classic.

PB 12.6 allows to build 32 or 64 bit applications, but this option is *not* available in a Web Service project. Why?

I have installed the 64bit PB12.6 runtime and selected a 64bit application pool on my Windows/IIS server, but the WS crashes in "BadImageFormatException: could not load file or assembly 'mywebservice' or one of its dependencies".

If I run the WS in 32bit mode, it is ok.

What's your opinion?

Cheers,

Marco

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>PB 12.6 allows to build 32 or 64 bit applications, but this option is *not* available in a Web Service

>>project. Why?

The 64 bit support in 12.6 only applied to desktop application targets (native apps).

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you Bruce for confirming this.

In fact, I haven't found it precisely mentioned in the PB 12.6 doc, did you?

Best,

.m

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco;

1) PB 12.6's 64 bit support is only applicable to native P-Code compiled EXE's (not Machine [M-Code]).

2) Web services are still only 32 bit (as Bruce points out). You still deploy them directly to IIs from the IDE or via an MSI built from the WS project.

3) The WS's Application Pool must still be registered as 32bit & running in "Classic" mode.

4) The Winform compile option is till only 32 bit.

Hopefully, we will hear a lot more about the PB road-map at the 2015 PB Conference when Sr VP Dirk Boessmann addresses the conference attendees on Friday AM on PB's future.  Friday May 8, 2015 | NCPBUG

Regards ... Chris

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is says is "64 bit Windows Applications" and "native applications".  That's the desktop target only.

http://help.sap.com/Download/Multimedia/pb126/PowerBuilder-NewFeatures.pdf

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not aware of a new 12c specific driver in PB 12.6, only that it's officially supported.  What in that case are they supposed to "fix" in the packager?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the runtime packager, it displays 11g, not 12c.If pbora126.dll supports 12c, as I've read, shouldn't the packager indicate 12c?