cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on BODS Clustering

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Currently we are using BODS 4.2 on SuSE Linux platform and is a standalone system; however We have a requirement to make it 2 node cluster for higher availability. The architecture we are planning to build as below:

NODE 1:

- IPS

- Tomcat

- BODS

- DQM (RFC Servers)

- JOB SERVERS

NODE 2:

- IPS

- Tomcat

- BODS

- DQM (RFC Servers)

- JOB SERVERS

We want similar set of services on node 2 as well. Now we are looking for a guide which help us in clustering two BODS systems and the method to distribute the load. Could you please advise us on this?

Few more questions.

1. I have gone through few forums but everyone talks about CMS clustering but how can we achieve BODS clustering?
  2. By creating ServerGroups in DS Management Console, I can manage multiple Job Servers; however what is the provision for Access Server and RFC Servers?
  3. If I installed DQM RFC Server (one on each node) pointing to same CRM system, will those RFC work as a active/passive or request will be sent to both the RFC instances?

I would really appreciate your expert inputs.

Regards,

Mahesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

Regarding your query below is the suggestion.

Few more questions.

1. I have gone through few forums but everyone talks about CMS clustering but how can we achieve BODS clustering?

Suggestion: BODS clustering is only at Job Server & Access Server level but for this below is the pre-requisite.

• Install BOE/BOIPS on both the node as you are already doing
    • Install BODS on both the node as you are already doing, After this activy a new Services added on both the node (EIM Adaptive Processing Server)
    • Fine Tune EIM Adaptive Processing Server as per your requirement
    • Configure Local & Secure Central repository with UNC path
    • Configure Job Server and Access Server on both the node
    • Install Data Quality for SAP Solution on both the node as you are already doing
    • Configure Trans and Batch on both the node.

For Oracle RUC setting you can refer below SAP KBA

1700129 - Repository JDBC connection error - SAP Data Services 4.x

1. By creating ServerGroups in DS Management Console, I can manage multiple Job Servers; however what is the provision for Access Server and RFC Servers?

Suggestion:

• We cannot add Access Server & RFC Server in Server Group, Only option is you can call both the Job Server in your access server where your real time jobs is configured. For e.g if you have to connect 6 connection then call 3 connection from Machine 1 (JobServer 1) and 3 from Machine 2 (Job Server 2)

1. If I installed DQM RFC Server (one on each node) pointing to same CRM system, will those RFC work as a active/passive or request will be sent to both the RFC instances?

Suggestion:

• RFC will not act as a active or passive, This will totally depend on your CMS, If you restart your second machine first then Your second machine services act as Active.

Hope this will help!!!!

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Daya. I think you have answered my many queries.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

ragove
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

Just want to confirm - What's the progress of Implementing Access server Clustering? let us know.

I'm eager.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Daya,your help is much appreciated.

ragove
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

I can add more than one access server, but I think it does not work as a load balancer. It is same like Job server, you need choose which one do you want use.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dirk/Daya Thanks for answering my queries. We would like to setup the similar architecture shown in below diagram:

In this scenario we are going to install DQM RFC on both nodes pointing to same CRM system (with same PROG_ID). My question is, whenever a call/request will initiate from CRM side, what will be the workflow to pass-on the request to BODS side? (Considering we have two diff. hosts and IP addresses for each DS systems)

1. In this case will the request be sent on BODS Node 1 or BODS Node 2?
  2. How the request redirection (load balancing) will happen? Will this load balancing happen at CRM side or at BODS side?
  3. Do you think CMS is intelligent enough to take care of this load balancing?

Please advise!

Regards,

Mahesh

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

Regarding your query below is the suggestion:

My question is, whenever a call/request will initiate from CRM side, what will be the workflow to pass-on the request to BODS side? (Considering we have two diff. hosts and IP addresses for each DS systems)

Suggestion:

When a user Create any request in Portal then first DQM Services Like Address Cleanse,Break Key will hit then w.r.t Jobs it call the RFC because all these Jobs are pointing to RFC using datastore connection

Then it check the status of RFC w.r.t Transactional & Batch Services is up or not and then it route the message to respective SAP CRM Server.

In detail if you want to understand then please refer DQM Guide or DQM tutorial

1. In this case will the request be sent on BODS Node 1 or BODS Node 2?

Suggestion:Request will send on which node BODS Job Server is Free, and it route the message on both the Job Server simultaneously

1. How the request redirection (load balancing) will happen? Will this load balancing happen at CRM side or at BODS side?

Suggestion: Load balancing will not happen in SAP CRM side because we are using single data-store for both the Job Server and for routing the message Job Server is used and for populating the data DQM Real Time Jobs, RFC & BADiI's is used.

1. Do you think CMS is intelligent enough to take care of this load balancing?

Suggestion: CMS is balancing the load with respect to user only, Here for DQM activity EIM Adaptive Processing Server come's into the picture.Because all DQM Services & RFC services are part of EIM Adaptive Processing Server.

Hope this will help!!!!!

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dirk/Manoj for your inputs.

Also please throw some light on Access Server configurations. If we create similar access servers on node 2 then how can we achive load balacing here as per knowledge, ServerGroup is available to manage Job Servers only.

Thanks Again!

-Mahesh

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The simple reason everybody talks about CMS and nobody does about DS clustering is that the latter is not possible. You'll have to install two totally independent DS instances, one on each server.

The DS Server Group concept is for Load Balancing purposes only. It allows load distribution over 2 (or more) DS installations, at job, data flow or sub data flow level. But it does not provide any High Availability or Disaster Recovery features.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

We have done some time back but very hard to remember setting and setup

Below link will helpful for you.

http://dwbi.org/etl/sap-data-services/76-sap-bods-cluster-installation

Regards,

Manoj.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On LInux?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's on windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manoj, but we are using SuSE Linux Enterprise, so the steps provided in link does not suffice our requirements.