Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Format Issue

jdloranger
Participant
0 Kudos

Good morning.

I started encountering odd behavior from the source formatting feature in Eclipse.  It is my habit to use Shift + F1 to format my ABAP code and it has been working flawlessly.

However, just yesterday, I began getting some odd results.  Not every row, but on selected rows, the pattern of which I cannot determine, the formatter forces the code to lose its indentation, when it shoudl be indented.  Again, this does not happen for every row, just a few.  When I manually indent the row and use the formatter, it forces the same row back to the far left margin.  Repeating the formatting does not correct the issue.

I've searched and cannot find where anyone else has encountered the same behavior, nor have I downloaded any updates to Eclipse or anything else in weeks.

Has anyone else seen this or know how to correct it?

Thank you,

Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jdloranger
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, found the problem.  And yes, it was me...

Yesterday I needed to make some modifications to an ancient program and had to set the ABAP editor to check for lines greater than 72 characters long, to prevent a short dump.  I finished what I needed to do and forgot I had changed the setting.  From SE80 : Utilities->Settings : ABAP Editor Tab, uncheck "Downwards-Compatible Line Length (72).

Now Eclipse now formats like it always had.

3 REPLIES 3

jdloranger
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, found the problem.  And yes, it was me...

Yesterday I needed to make some modifications to an ancient program and had to set the ABAP editor to check for lines greater than 72 characters long, to prevent a short dump.  I finished what I needed to do and forgot I had changed the setting.  From SE80 : Utilities->Settings : ABAP Editor Tab, uncheck "Downwards-Compatible Line Length (72).

Now Eclipse now formats like it always had.

0 Kudos

I had a similar issue. For me the reason was another missing setting in ABAP Work bench; I didn’t check the ‘Indent’.

0 Kudos

Good to know.  Thank you for sharing.

Justin