cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport error: Communication failure.(FWM 00001)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are unable to publish a report from Crystal Reports 2013 to our BI Platorm (4.1) instance.  All other functions of BI platform seem to be working.  Has anyone els had any experience with this issue or any thoughts or suggestions.  We receive this error when trying to connect to the Enterprise server from out local machines: Transport error: Communication failure.(FWM 00001).  We do NOT have any problems logging into BI Platform or pinging the sever from our laptops.

The BI Platform 4.1 instance has been recently loaded.  We did import all of our report objects from the old system to this system.  They run, but we cannot upload new reports.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My problem has been resolved.  Although I tried a few different things, I think the key was updating the CentralManagementServer.  I had already changed the Request Port from Auto Assigned to a specific port (6430), but we also added the IP ADDRESS in the HOST IDENTIFIERS section.  After doing this, we no longer received the transport error.

I also had changed the Auto Assigned for several other BI Platform servers and added an entry into my host file, so it may have been the combination of all these changes that made it work.  The last change (IP ADDRESS) was when it started working.

Thanks for your help.

former_member196781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the problem is limited to promoting Crystal Reports, check following KBA:

1754247 - BI 4.0: When promoting content via Promotion Management some objects are not imported

Krgds

Moritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeff

This issue might occur if the request ports are not updated in the CMS, FRS and connection servers. Try assigning the request ports in all those servers manually and let us know if the issue persist.

~VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done the following for the request ports:

CMS : 6430

IFRS: 6440

OFRS: 6450

CR Report App Server: 6460

CR processing Server: 6470

CR Rpts Cache Server: 6480

Connection Server : 6410

Connection Server32: 6420

I updated the hosts file with this entry

IP Address    Servername:6400

I restarted all of the servers

None of this has helped.   I think my next step is to try and schedule a call with SAP support and have someone look at this issue.  Thanks.

onkarvelhals
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Remove ':6400' from hosts file. Correct way is

IP address     hostname     FQDN

What is request port for WACS (web application container server)?

If not assigned, please assign a request port to same server and ensure that all assigned ports are open bidirectionally from firewall.

Do you see same error (communication failure) in event on server machine?

Regards,

Onkar

ShailendarAnugu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Try again by  removing  port number in the host files.

Thanks,

Shailu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

-- To confirm if there is a firewall in between the client and server machine, telnet the below ports from the client machine:
telnet <servername> 6400
telnet <servername> <CMS request port>
telnet <servername> <IFRS request port>
telnet <servername> <OFRS request port>

-- You can check the request port of the respective server from CMC -> servers -> CMS -> properties -> Metrics.

-- If you are not able to telnet the above ports then there is a firewall which is blocking the communication.
-- Ask you network team to open a set of ports (For example - 6400 to 6405), and assign the request ports manually to CMS, IFRS, OFRS.
-- Are you not able to connect with all the client tools check with Webi Rich Client, UDT, IDT etc.
*** Ensure that the ports must be open over the firewall bi-directionally.

-- Also make the host file entry of the server machine on the client correctly as below (drivers/etc/hosts):
<IP Address> <hostanme> <FQDN> (All separated by Tab)

**Each entry should be in a separate line.

Regards,
Medha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Madha -

Great instructions - thank you.  Very helpful for me to do the trouble shooting.

I talked to a network person and the ports are all open on the box.  I verified that I could telnet to the servername:6400 and to the servername:requestPorts (for CMS, InputfileRepository and OutputFileRepository)  I checked some other ports in the 6400-6405 range as well.   I was not totally sure how to test the bi-directionality on the ports. I did telnet from the BI server to another server using different ports.

I did notice that the request ports were not in the 6400 range, but were CMS (64046), IFRS (64166) and OFRS (64165).  I did not know if that is a problem and if these should be hard-code and changed manually (say 6401 or something like that).

I can connect to the BIPlatform as ServerName:6400 from users laptops.

I tried setting up the host file, but still getting the transport error.  I tried a a variety of formats (using what you sent and what i found on the web).  No success.

I was unsure how to test out this statement : Are you not able to connect with all the client tools check with Webi Rich Client, UDT, IDT etc.  We have basically installed just the BI Platform.

After trying a variety of thing, my questions are :

1) Do I need to manually set a port number somewhere?  Since I can connect to the BI Platform as servername:port, it doesn't feel like a network issue.

2) Could there be a permission issue?  I saw references on the web about Universe permissions.  We don't use Universes, and I could not find anything that looked like an issue.

3) I also found references that this could be a time out issue. We get the error immediately, so I dismissed that as the issue, but thought I would mention it.

If you have any other suggestions let me know.  Thanks for your help Madha.

onkarvelhals
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Answers:

1) Do I need to manually set a port number somewhere?  Since I can connect to the BI Platform as servername:port, it doesn't feel like a network issue.

Yes. You can. Check SAP KBA bellow.

2) Could there be a permission issue?  I saw references on the web about Universe permissions.  We don't use Universes, and I could not find anything that looked like an issue.

Use enterprise administrator to confirm the same. (I don't think it could be) 

3) I also found references that this could be a time out issue.

Dosn't  seem like

Confirm if the server machine uses multiple NICs. If so, prioritize the card supposed to be used by Business Objects.

Furthermore, IP-bind CMS servers on both machines. For steps please refer to SAP KBA 1294016 - How to configure Business Objects Server across Firewalls?

if nothing above works, use a packet analyzer or tool like below intercept communication and identify where it fails.

1. Fiddler - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Onkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Onkar -

I tried manually setting the ports but that did not help.

I installed fiddler and saw this error when I started Crystal Reports 2013 :

SecureClientPipeDirect failed: System.IO.IOException Unable to read data from the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. < An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine on pipe to (CN=sales.liveperson.net, O=DO_NOT_TRUST, OU=Created by

I need to do more analysis on this, but thought I would share this error in case it triggered something that I need to change.  I am connecting to the Enterprise server from Crystal Reports 2013.

Thanks !

ShailendarAnugu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

It looks clearly a network issue.. please see below threads.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3516091

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3342398

Transport error: Communication failure.(FWM 00001)

Thanks,

Shailu.

onkarvelhals
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Check if firewall is blocking connection. Start with SAP note 1745855 and you can also refer to 'configuring under firewall' section in Admin guide.

To confirm this you can temporarily disable firewall.

If you have designer installed on server, confirm if you are able to save report using the same.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Onkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

First - thank you for your quick reply.

Both boxes are within our company firewall (server and the laptop we are trying to publish from).  It appears the firewall is turned off on the server.  I will do a little more research on this and let you know if I find anything regarding the firewall.