SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with a module that can have differing prerequiites depending on the program of study or the specialization

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do you suggest dealing with the following scenario?

The university offers module A in Program of Study X, both within specialization Y and within specialization Z. If selected within specialization Y, Module A has as prerequisite Module B. If selected within specialization Z, Module A has no prerequisites whatsoever.

Since prerequisites are attributes of the module object, clearly, two distinct objects must be created, one with prerequisites and one without (i.e. the module A object cannot be "reused"). However, Module A only has one common set of business events (classes) which students must book onto, regardless of whether they are following specialization Y or Z.

My question is, is there a way for two module objects (module A with prerequisites and module A without prerequisites) to share a single set of business events? I have already tried playing with object relationships but it does not work as they are one to one (i.e. one will overwrite the other if they overlap).

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dirk_pape3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

you can use relation 511 "cross listing" between two SM objects. The referring SM automatically inherences the components (event types, evaluations) of the referred SM.

se also https://scn.sap.com/thread/3489181.

Another possibility is to use one and the same SM object but extended booking checks for defining the prerequisites.

Dirk

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dirk_pape3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

you can use relation 511 "cross listing" between two SM objects. The referring SM automatically inherences the components (event types, evaluations) of the referred SM.

se also https://scn.sap.com/thread/3489181.

Another possibility is to use one and the same SM object but extended booking checks for defining the prerequisites.

Dirk

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your reply Dirk. I was not aware of the cross listing relation.

I also had an idea of my own, which may also be a workaround. Using the same relation "consists of" (507) between two SM objects and the same D object. This means that whichever SM object a student books onto, the same Business event packages, event types and actual academic events will be available for selection, which is what the business request was.

I will try both and see which works best and revert if any problems.

Thanks again for your response and suggestions

Andreas

0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

yes, you can link one D-Object to multiple SM-Objects and I have seen that in some installations.

My (maybe outdated - from year 2005) information (from the SAP SLcM development team) is, that this is not recommended and one should use the 511 relation instead.

But I have no detail information why.

So, if you find any issues or not, I would love to hear from your results in testing.

Dirk.

0 Kudos

Hi Dirk

I did a quick test and read through the link you sent me too, and I actually prefer your suggestion of using relation 511. It actually x-references the CE objects too which comes in handy as I am sure the customer would like to keep those processes common for these types of modules.

I plan to use that going forward...

Thanks for your help

Andreas