cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of Design Studio (version 1.5) Application with External/SAPUI5 Application(version 1.28.7)

former_member185414
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello fellow SCNers and gurus,

I want to know the best way to integrate a SAP Design Studio BIP application to a SAPUI5 application.

My scenario in detail is -

My client has humongous amount of data, some millions of records at the most granular level. They cannot display all that data in a Design Studio application so they are using the hybrid path of creating a few pages/views like dashboards in SAP Design Studio and then navigating to a SAPUI5 view to display the most granular level data exposed via HANA XS OData service.

Solution Setup:-

1. Both the applications are on different servers. The Design Studio application is on BO server while the SAPUI5 application is on HANA Server. This is so because the Design Studio on HANA has various limitations(which client says and i am not aware of).

Current Solution:-

We have been successfully able to launch the SAPUI5 application from Design Studio views via calling the URL of the SAPUI5 application and then passing the context as URL parameters. Then parsing the parameters and using them in SAPUI5 application.

Current Challenges:-

1. How will the authentication work because now we are entering the credentials separately for every server. Should it be SSO enabled. (and may not work with mobile devices)

2.  Session Time-out issues like a user may have been logged out from Design Studio but the SAPUI5 application with data is already opened in new tab, then should the data be still available or on refresh, it should prompt for login.

3. Is navigation as done via calling an external URL the best way or do we have some other better option.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ankit Maskara.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ankit,

Can you please share the solution that you had setup , in a requirement similar to yours ?

former_member185414
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sriram,

I was not able to find a better solution to my problem and we went with the solution mentioned by me though Mustafa's suggestions were good. Later client had to abandon the approach and migrated entire developments from first dashboard screen till the last detail screen in UI5 without using Design Studio.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankit Maskara.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for the feedback.  You had previously mentioned that one of the important reasons for choosing to develop custom Fiori apps for the detailed data viewing instead of Design Studio was because it is easier to handle the very large volumes of data via HANA XS OData services.  I am assuming that the benefit here is that OData provides a record paging mechanism whereby "pages" of data can be progressively "fetched" as needed, rather than trying to consume the entire large data set at once in the client app.  Is that right?

Regards,

Mustafa.

former_member185414
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, OData has query parameters $skip and $top which allow to handle how many records to be fetched from backend server.

http://www.odata.org/documentation/odata-version-2-0/uri-conventions/

BR.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

I won't claim to be an expert for all of the points you have raised but here are my comments:

1.  I expect you would need to set up some kind of SSO to avoid multiple logins.  However, rather than setting up SSO between your BIP portal and HANA portal, I think suspect it would be more of a case of two independent SSO's working in parallel because the Design Studio application and UI5 applications are independent. 

One example SSO setup would be Windows authentication, where you would have SSO set up for your BO Server based on Windows credentials and separately you would have another SSO set up for your HANA Server based on the same Windows credentials.  Under this approach, in theory, once a user has signed onto their PC, they should be able to launch Design Studio and UI5 applications from Design Studio, without the need to sign on;

2.  Synchronising session timeouts doesn't seem that straightforward to me because you are launching two separate applications running on separate systems.  I am assuming you are raising this as an issue because when you call the UI5 application from Design Studio it is launched in a new browser window, so you end up with both applications running in parallel.  One way to avoid the time-out issue, or at least make it transparent to the user could be to launch the UI5 application via the Design Studio SDK: Open URL Inplace Component (from the SCN Design Studio SDK Development Community);

3.  Navigation via URL seems like a good option.  The only variation you might consider is using the Open URL Inplace Component mentioned in response 2.

Regards,

Mustafa.