cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access the WSDL or the WSDL file is invalid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I've just installed Powerbuilder Classic 12.5.2 build 5703 on Windows 10 computer.

PowerBuilder installs and runs just fine.

But when I try to deploy a webservice from a WSDL file, I get this message:

"Cannot access the WSDL or the WSDL file is invalid".

Any good ideas on how to make this work?

Regards,

Bjarne Anker

Maritech Systems AS

Norway

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bjarne;

I am not having any WS issues on W10 using PB 12.1, 12.5.1 and 12.6.

Can you tell us more about your environment and WS configuration?

Web Service LOG:

***** STD Foundation Classes - Web Service Logging Started ******

STD Foundation Classes version 2015.2.0.45 was released on 2015-05-30 and is optimized for the IIS environment.

Logging was started based on instantiating interface object class - name: nc_login_interface

2015/08/25 08:29:28 - Validation started for: ConnectString='DSN=EAS Demo DB V120;UID=dba;PWD=sql',Async=1,DBGetTime=5,PacketSize=2048,ConnectOption='SQL_DRIVER_CONNECT,SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT'

2015/08/25 08:29:28 - The DBMS Connect return code was: 0

2015/08/25 08:29:29 - Validation return status: 0

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris!

This looks promising.

I'm not sure which .Net Framework SDK i should download and use?

On the old Win7 machine "it just works", probably because I have installed Visual Studio and other stuff.

But on the new Win10 machine I have no plans of installing VS, just PB12.5.2.

It would be great to know which SDK you have installed?

regards,

Bjarne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bjarne;

You have to be cognizant of PB' Classic's .Net requirements as follows:

1) PB 12.x  .....   .Net 2.0/3.5 run-time and .Net 2.0 SDK

2) PB 12.5  .....   .Net 4.0/3.5 run-time and .Net 4.0 SDK

3) PB 12.6  .....   .Net 4.5 run-time and .Net 4.0 SDK

I have both the .Net 2.0 and .Net 4.0 SDK's installed.

Tip: Different versions of PB do not like incompatible versions of the .Net run-time and SDK's to be active. Therefore, I use various environment variables as follows:

So in my System Path, I added the the PB & .Net variables as (for example):

Now when I want to run PB 12.1 for example - that needs only .Net 2.0 elements - I rename the PB12.5 variable to PB12.5_XX, PB12.6 variable to PB12.6_XX, DotNet4.0 to DotNet4.0_XX and PB12.6_XX, DotNetSDK4.0 to DotNetSDK4.0_XX.

The key is to restart the PB IDE if its open (close & reopen) to pick up the new environment settings that only include the PB 12.x run-time and .Net 2.0+2.0SDK. Then PB 12.1 works perfectly. If I want to run PB 12.6 web services, I just _XX out the .Net 2.0 stuff and rename the PB12.6_XX,  DotNetSDK4.0_XX, etc variables dropping the "_XX" part. Restarting the PB 12.6 IDE at that point gets me into a compatible PB 12.6 mode. 

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, thanks.

I can only find this download for the .Net 4.0 SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279

I suppose this will work also in Windows 10?

regards,

Bjarne

Former Member
0 Kudos

FWIW: I have the .ISO install images for the .Net 2.0 and .Net 4.0 SDK's. I remember having difficulties with the EXE link you posted as all that did was start an online installation. However, I received error messages when I did it that way even back on W7. Using the .ISO copy though has been flawless.

FYI: ISO download ...  Download Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 (ISO) from Official Microsoft Down...

Note: On my home office PC's - which are AMD based - I needed to download the .Net 4.0 AMD SDK flavour from the AMD website.

HTH ... & good luck!  

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried the ISO-file now, and it says it could not find the AMD SDK.

However, the computer is an Intel-based Dell, so I'm not sure why it wants AMD.

I'll try to download the .Net 4.0 Windows Framework for Windows 7 once more and rerun it.

Regards,

Bjarne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bjarne;

I had the same problem on the PC's here at work that use Intel CPU's vs my AMD based machines I use at the home office. I got the same error when installing on the Intel machines where the .Net SDK is looking for an AMD section (for what ever reason - I have no idea).

All I did though at that the error prompt juncture was to select the option to point to where the missing AMD section actually is as its definitely in the expanded ISO installation - which I can see here on my PC at: "C:\Install\Microsoft\DotNet\SDK 4.0\Setup\WinSDK_amd64" for example. If I also recall correctly, the missing AMD .msi section error pops up a few times during the entire install process but each time I was able to manually point it to the correct AMD sub-folder location.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I've tried all suggested methods and downloads for installing the .Net 4.0 SDK on Windows 10, but still no luck.

I either get this message

"Cannot access the WSDL or the WSDL file is invalid"

or is prompted to install .Net 4.0 SDK when I try to deploy an WSDL in PowerBuilder 12.5.2.

Perhaps someone from SAP could help out?

Regards,

Bjarne Anker

Maritech Systems AS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bjarne;

1) If you cannot get the SDK(s) installed then PB will always give you the "Install .Net NN.n SDK" error message.

2) If your PC is configured properly, you should always be able to run the DOS Command shell and type in "WSDL" and see it respond.

3) Your PC should always have the SDK's "BIN" folder in the System Path

4) You should always run the PB IDE in "Admin Mode".

- Tip: Create a desktop shortcut for PB and set "Run as Administrator" on.

5) Your PB.INI file should have the following settings ...

[Data Window]

GenerateWSAssembliesOnCompile=YES

debug_ws_metadata=1

HTH

Regards ... Chris

ricardojasso
Participant
0 Kudos

Bjarne,

I’m sorry to say it but you are in a deadlock. When you install PB after installing Windows 10 it will ask for the Windows SDK for .NET Framework 4.0. But when you try to install the SDK you’ll receive the message “Some Windows SDK components require the RTM .NET Framework 4. Setup detected a pre-release version of the .NET Framework 4. If you continue with Setup, these components will not be installed. If you want to install these components, click Cancel, then install the .NET Framework 4 from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=187668 and then rerun Setup”.

If you then try to install the 4.0 Framework from the link provided you’ll get the message “Your installation will not occur. Possible reasons: 1) Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable. 2) Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer.”

This is because Windows 10 comes with Framework 4.6 Release Candidate preinstalled and it seems that both 4.0 and 4.6 cannot be present at  the same time. I guess 4.6 upgrades 4.0.

To get the SDK for Framework 4.0 you have two options: 1) Install Visual Studio 2010 which will install the SDK by default, or 2) Perform a clean install of the original Windows (7 or 8), install everything that you need including the Framework and SDK, and then upgrade to Windows 10. This will let you deploy the ws services under PB 12.5 or 12.5.x.

I followed the first option and resolved the wsdl issue, that is, I could again run my ws projects which create ws proxies, but then I had an issue compiling .NET assemblies from PB which I could not resolve, so I decided to reinstall everything befores upgrading to Windows 10 and now everything works as it should.

Hope this helps.

Ricardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo;

That should not make a difference as you should only be installing the .Net SDK and not the .net run-time ( which would give you the error you posted )!

I had no issues installing the .Net 4.0 SDK from my ISO installation copy on W10.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ricardo!

You describe exactly what I'm experiencing, so I will try your approach.

Luckily I have only installed PB on the new computer so I won't lose anything else when reinstalling Win7 and so on.

Br,

Bjarne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Use Process Monitor and check to see what Windows SDK, PB is looking for in the registry.

For example, in my testing on PB 12.6, PB is searching for the string:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0a\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-X86  not found

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\.....    not found
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0a\.....    not found
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1  ....  not found
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0... not found

The software that was installed had a registry value of:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86

PB is not searching for v8.1!   CR784992 is open for this issue.

A workaround is to add the registry value v8.0a key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\v8.0a\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86]
"ComponentName"="Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.1 SDK"
" InstallationFolder"=<path_to_your_windowssdk>
"ProductVersion"="8.1.51641"

For example,
"InstallationFolder"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v8.1A\\bin\\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\\"

Hope this helps,
Beverly Duquette

ricardojasso
Participant
0 Kudos

Chris,

I used the standalone installers GRMSDK_EN_DVD.iso (32bit) and GRMSDKX_EN_DVD.iso (64 bit) downloaded from the Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8442) and got the message shown above.

I guess the SDK setup will install the framework if it is not already installed. Otherwise it will show the message shown above if the framework installed is of a different version than the one needed. But Windows will not let me uninstall the current version because it is part of the operating system. So I was in a deadlock.

The point is we are trying to install an old development product that depends on the .net framework for certain features, on a new operating system that uses an upgraded framework. So the safest thing to do is to upgrade to Windows 10 from a system that has everything installed on it so it will be available after the upgrade.

Regards,

Ricardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo;

It may have worked for because I used the .Net SDK install from AMD, where I downloaded that version because I only use AMD processors.

Installing to W7 and then migrating should work OK as I have also gone this route successfully.

Good luck!

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro from the OEM disc now.

Then I installed PB125 with the SDK and verified that it worked.

Now I've just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and everything works just fine.

A bit of work, but well worth it.

And very nice to now that the upgrade Win 7/8 -> Win 10 is the way to go when using PB125.

Thanks!

Bjarne

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Run the .Net SDK WSDL command line tool against the wsdl.  That is what is ultimately throwing the error.  PowerBuilder uses it under the covers to create the proxy.

The WSDL command line tool will give you more specific information about what it doesn't like about the wsdl you're trying to use.