cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faxing MSDS via Reprt Shipping batch jobs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guru's,

I am new to EHS and have a question about faxing MSDS's via report shipping automatically. We have the jobs running and the outputs are getting generated correctly for email, print and fax, but for the fax outputs when I look at SOST the recipient which should show the country code and then fax number shows the customer name instead.

Although we don't have a lot of fax records and are moving to email I would still like to understand why it would not use the fax number maintained on  the SR or ship to party?

Any ideas where to look?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Christoph and Anindya for the responses.

Christoph you are correct fax is fairly old technology and we don't have very many customers that still use fax but a few still do so I am trying to get this to work.

All the data is setup correctly on the customer masters and all other faxes are going out correctly and as you described the recipient in SOST shows as the country code ie US 2035756363 and a number.

But for some reason for ones that go through the report shipping process the show the customer name from Name 1 field on SOST.

Taking Anindya's advice I have looked at the log in CVD1 and specifically the trace and see there is a user exit CVEQ_RDO_SEND_TO_FAX_NEW involved. I will ask one of our developers to look at that to start.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christopher

in my opinion you must "separate" how SOST is working from SDS distribution process. Clearly in SDS distribution the process can be "mapped" (as you have done it: that means a FAX id´s genearteed which can be "analysed" if needed inSOST).

May be this link could be of interest;

SAP Function Modules Documentation Repository - Function Module Index CVEQ_RDO_SEND - Z_RDO_SEND_TO_...

As mentioned by yourself. CVEQ_RDO_SEND_TO_FAX_NEW is the "default" function module and can be "exchanged" if needed.

As long as the process works I would not invest to many time for analysisng the "SOST" topic.

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christopher,

There are a few places where you can look and do further analysis

1) Report shipping logs  (Transaction CVD1, detail screen, view application logs)

2) Detailed sending info of the communication request in SOST

My hunch is that the report shipping processing function module which retrieves the recipient FAX data may not be working properly or it is a master data issue

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christopher

based on your description can you please confirm:

1.) if on SR ship to party level FAX number is maintained distribution is done using "FAX" (e.g. CVd1)

2.) SOST is a general transaction. If I follow your explanation than you "struggle" with the display of data showing up ( "look at SOST the recipient which should show the country code and then fax number shows the customer name instead".)

My question would be the other way around: ask the customer: did you get SDS/MSDS by FAX? If yes then you can ignore in my opinion the SOST behaviour

IN context of: "why it would not use the fax number maintained on  the SR or ship to party?"

Here you should may be dig deeper.  You should check "customer" data in the system. Is there a "special" address maintained (SDS distribution address data)? If I remember correct the system uses "first" data on customer level  (SR etc.) about "default" communication. If if FAX is default then it should use FAX number. For SOST topic: may be SAP has decided that it might be "niecer" to get "customer name" in the display in comparison to "FAX" number (normally "only" in IT we look for "numbers"; for normal business we use "names")

I believe your topic is really teh firts one in SCN asking about FAX. Most companies use eMail or still letter (and if you think about REACH regulation: it is not "niece" to gte more tan "100 papers" printed to get one SDS/MSDS

C.B.