cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creation of SDS in SAP without using WWI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

whether we can create SDS in SAP without using WWI.

either we can create only with property tree??

request you to please answer whether we can create SDS without WWI.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear all

SAP support starting with Enhancement Package options to "replace" WWI. We never investigated.

I am not aware of any SAP customer using the approach as given in the other answer: "Yes, we can do that with smart forms using adobe with EhP7"

And based on many discussion with lot of people. I have big doubts in this solution.

But as you may be know. in other ares of EHS/EHSM now "adobe" is the solution to generate etc. documents.

C.B:

PS: may be check:

Environment, Health and Safety - Logistics - SAP Library

SAP states there:

he Business Add-In BADI_ESS_REPORT_GEN enables you to use an individual implementation to generate, display, and print reports without using WWI.

This enhancement is deliverd with EnPack 3; I am not aware of any kind of "on top" solution with EnPack 7(but Enhancement Package as ar "cumulative"

Last PPS:

I have no idea about the meaning of this part: "and print reports without using WWI." of the sentence. I am missing here a clear indication what you use something similar as "report distribution"

But with EnhPack 7 a solution (using pdf) for GLM reports is in place (but only display ! and not develop ! (according to my knowledge); this solution is discusse din parallel threads.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Christoph,

Thanks for quick response.

As  suggested by satyanarayana reddy, whether we can do it with smart forms?.

Is there any feasibility with smart forms?

If so, could you please explain the process.

Regards

Rishikesh

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

let us assume: you use SAP EHS classic more or less as delivered. 100% of the overall functionalitty is optimized for use of WWI (e.g. in waste area, GLM, product safety etc.)

Only by using this "Business Add in" you can use something different. But there is a big "BUT": The explanation of SAP is not really helping. There is no idea shown what "printing" means

And for a report like a "safety data sheet" it is nearly a "must" to use the report distribution process (once again: the basi design here assumes you use WWI !!!) and here nothing is mentioned form SAP.

Only for quite simple reports any other technique like "Smartform" etc. might be feasible (and clearly: it is used in many other SAP modules; even in EHSM more and more Adobe is used

As stated my Mark:

"this development would be man years and AFAIK no one has ever done it."

This is not "100%" this is "1000%" true... I have no clue how many man year SAP needed to invest the "WWI" part ((and anything around): but you canreally not pay this (in my opinion) or the result is not worth the approach.

On the top: I confirm Marks statement: I am not aware of any SAP customer which tried to used this approach..

To make it simple: just use WWI to get a SDS

C.B.

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Christoph Bergemann wrote:

Only by using this "Business Add in" you can use something different. But there is a big "BUT": The explanation of SAP is not really helping. There is no idea shown what "printing" means

And for a report like a "safety data sheet" it is nearly a "must" to use the report distribution process (once again: the basi design here assumes you use WWI !!!) and here nothing is mentioned form SAP.

It is my understanding that the BADI allows you to replace WWI - where ever it is used in the standard.

Therefore the BADI would need to be called during report distribution (aka report shipment) as well.

[But since I have never seen it implemented - that is just an educated guess]

The technical replacement of WWI would just be one part of it. You would need to provide a replacement for the WWI Templates themselves as well. Currently SAP EHS Regulatory Content (SERC) delivers 115 (!!!) WWI Templates - almost all of them include templates for the different MSDS sections for the various countries.

In order to build such a solution you would need people on your team with a very deep technical understanding of the current WWI technology and SAP EHS "ABAP" as well as people with a good regulatory understanding of the requirements.

Kind Regards

Mark

P.s.: IIRC: Companies asked SAP to replace WWI with something different - but the cost (if SAP would implement it) where just to high to, so no customer ever wanted to pay for it.

Therefore SAP provided the BADI for customers to implement it themselves....

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mark

regarding:

"It is my understanding that the BADI allows you to replace WWI - where ever it is used in the standard.

Therefore the BADI would need to be called during report distribution (aka report shipment) as well."

Based on what I can see I have doubts in context of  report distribution.

You need to find a solution for the "final report". Anything what I can see in the BADI:

yes there seems to be a suport for CG54/cg50 but only for "display" (and not distribute)

But I am in the same situation like you: Never have had the need to analyise this BADI deeper and sorry to say WWI IS A BIG USEFUL TOOL

(for SAP SD: clearly other tools are much butter (smartform, sapscript etc.)

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mark

only small add on: using thread

I tried to figure out if somebody have a "better" understanding of the BADI. I never received an answer.

C.B

P:S I currently assuem that SAP has this picture in use of the BADI: you still must use "report symbols" in "whatever kind of document";

Only this would make sense to me (to support e.g. report distribution process) as anythign in EHS is "optimized" for use of report symbols; so my assumption is:

Some "frame"work must be used (e.g. topic of generation variant etc.) and yo must have a link to a "template" but this template is not generated using WWI....

According to my understanding: you still have the need to "create a report" whcih will show up in "report tree". So may be report distrinution wll be possible (a syou need here the "final report symbols"

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

No - you can not create SDSs in SAP EHS without WWI (in the standard).

There are exits there so you could replace WWI with something else but this development would be man years and AFAIK no one has ever done it.

Kind Regards

Mark

satya11719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rishkesh,

Yes, we can do that with smart forms using adobe with EhP7. But WWI is the standard version which was used by many customers all over the world.

Go through this thread it will give you some clarification.

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3430552