Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYSBASE HOMOGENOUS SYSTEM COPY.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Thanks is Advance.

We are in plan to build a new system using Backup restore method. Backup is taken on disk.

System Details

SAP ERP 6.0 EHP6

ASE version 15.7.101

Below are the query requires your expert advice.

1 During the system copy database is by SWPM during installation when its prompt to restore database.

Does it necessary that structure of Source and target needs to be exactly same here I am referring to sap data devices?

2 Also please let me know the command for doing the restore and steps?

let me know if pre steps need to be done in order to do the installation successfully.

I found one note 1591387 for homogenous system but it seems it not yet released or getting updated can some one let me know when it would be available.

Regards

Ravi Pandey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

First of all note 1591387 - SYB: Homogeneous Systemcopy Sybase ASE which aimed at

specific db version of 15.7.0.002 is discontinued and cannot be accessed.

Secondly have you decided on which method of data import you want to do using SWPM with reference to choosing Homogenous System Copy(SAP ASE specific: Detach/Attach or Backup/Restore)

If you choose copy method attach database devices using a database manifest file this manifest file will have to be one that you initially made on your source system before copying of the files.

This next part requires application downtime in source system as part of original exports.

In the source system you will have to quiesce the database to create the manifest file.

quiesce database SID_tag hold SID for external dump to 'D:\export\SID.manifest

go

Now view the contents of the manifest file to see which datafiles to copy.

mount database all from 'D:\export\SID.manifest' with listonly

go

Now you need to unquiesce the database for normal use again

quiesce database SID_tag release

go

!!! ps: note the blank space in the screenshot above represents SID and was added for privacy reasons.!!!

Here quiesce database used with the hold keyword suspends all updates to the specified database. Transactions cannot update data in suspended databases, and background tasks such as the checkpoint process and housekeeper process skip all databases that are in the suspended state. So we can safely copy the database devices to their new location,Now copy the datafiles from their original folders to other folder.

And yes file system structures and sizes have to be consistent for standardization reasons in your landscape hopefully especially the target sizes does matter. But you could probably if you wanted alter the target directory structure a bit but I would not recommend this.

Good references:

2162183 - SYB: Frequently Asked Questions for SAP ASE

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBASE/Nov+2nd+2015+ASE+KBAs

547314  FAQ: System Copy procedure

Good luck.

Regards,

Johan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johan,

First thanks for your details explanation and time.

Hi karthik,

Thanks for your help too. Your comments were very useful.

I was able to build the new system using Backup Restore Method.Below are the few main steps and inputs I have provided.

1 Make sure we have proper drives, Space and Media.

2 Run the SWPM and selected the system copy Method for installation.

3 During the install Selected the "Homogenous System copy".

4 In Database copy Method selected "Load Database".

5 In Next it prompts to provide the dump file location or restore Manually. I have Provided the directory where I have kept the latest backup of Production.

Once the system is built proceed with post install steps.

Regards

Ravi Pandey

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Please use below steps and let me know if you need any more information.

1. Install Target system - SAP ERP 6.0 EHP6 with ASE version 15.7.101(Make sure have the similar file systems with more size than source system)

2. Take the backup from Source and move on to the Target system.

3. Restore Database using below command:

load database TSID from "/backup/SID_11042015.dmp"

4.  Execute below command as part of the post steps

online database TSID

5. Proceed similar post steps which followed as part of the system copy

Regards,

Karthik