cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis for Office with Windows 10 x64 and Office 2013 x64

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I managed to get the kit for latest version of BO Analysis 2.2 SP2 that is tagged by SAP as compatible with Office 2013 and 2013 and Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 both 32 and 64 bit versions, I had installed it in Windows 7 x64 with Office 2013 x64 without any issue. After launch all the functionalities are working ok, great.

When I have tried the same Analysis with the same Office but on my newer machine with Windows 10 x64 that needs to replace the out of warranty one (with Windows 7), I had bumped into 1 big issue as the installation does not detects Office 2013 64 bit at all (see image)...

Any change of a workaround or is this a known issue that might be solved into next release SP3 of same 2.2 version?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I finally managed to find the issue!

Studying the installation log (c:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs\NwSapSetup.log") from both Win 10 (not working) and Win 7 (yes working), I have noticed the 2.2 SP2 installer was tripping (in Win 10) in a particuley Registry key, probably a leftover key from apparently incomplete uninstall of Office 365 32 bit (which came as pre-installed with my company's os image):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90150000-008C-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

I have removed above mentioned key and retrying the installation, it worked!!!

Now I am a happy user of BO Analysis 2.2 SP2 that is fully functional, and quite happy as I nailed down the root cause myself (Thanks to Derek to point me to a direction of checking the registry values, which was a turning point).

The weird thing about the whole process, was the 2.0SP3 of same BO Analysis was installing ok, (but not fully acceptable due to crashing when clicking "Display" from Analysis ribbon in Excel, so wasn't able to make any layout customization), and that installation kit was not checking that particular key...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel

We have observed this but only under the certain conditions:

If you are using either Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 (64-bit OS version) and the stand-alone installer of Microsoft Office 2013 64-bit = no issues, Analysis for Office 2.2 SP2 installs correctly.

If you are using either Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 (64-bit OS version) and you installed Microsoft Office 365 (with Office 2013 64-bit) from the Microsoft web site, there is a known issue in that the bitness indicator (for x64) is not set, then the Analysis for Office installer cannot detect the 64-bit version of office. A work-around is to manually create the appropriate registry key then the installer detects it correctly and installs successfully. A blog on Microsoft's tech site does mention they are aware of the issue and plan to fix it (not sure if they will since Office 2016 is available).

At our company we have standardized on Office 365 with Office 2016 and are just busy testing Analysis for Office 2.2 SP2 before we release it to our users.at the end of the month.

Regards

Derek

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Here is the details of the blog entry

With regards to the Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus subscription (Outlook 2013 x64).

Cause:

This issue occurs due to a missing Outlook 2013 registry key which is used by the various client software installers to determine which version of Outlook 2013 is installed. In addition, this issue only affects Outlook 2013 x64 installations when downloaded via an Office 365 ProPlus subscription.

Note: Microsoft has acknowledged this issue and has committed to fix it in a future release of Outlook 2013.

Solution:

A work-around is to manually create the missing registry key until Microsoft provides a fix.

Create the following registry key:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

Name: Bitness

Type: String

Value: x64

regards

Derek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am afraid the registry key you are referring to already exists, so that is not the cause....

Regarding the Office, it's not the standard Office 365 x64 (2013) as on the time I have received the approval the 64 bit flavor was not a standard, so it's a Retail kit of Office 2013. The same Office kit is used on Win 7 x64 and BO Analysis 2.2 SP2 is installing ok and also working ok, but on Windows 10 x64 Enterprise is not even installing (Office is not detected).

PS: My Office is being manually kept up-to-date (as you can see below).

Also now the Office 365 ProPlus 64 bit became a standard, but the one published in company's Software Center had a bug (only in Win 10 x64) in the script detecting the license which was signaled by me, and following that a test in lab was performed and error corrected but seems no updated package will be released since 2016 is due to be release in the near future. Following that I had concluded that I will suffer for few more weeks/months until 2016 will be available, and I have posted my issue to this forum as a last resort hoping for best...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you think that the actual trunk of the key in Windows 10 x64 is "WOW6432Node" and in Windows 7 x64 is "Wow6432Node" and the installer is checking only by the exact one that exist in Win 7 x64 and since some letter are capitalized in Windows 10 x64 the detection fails?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I only find a very old note on this issue https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1874429/E

If you have MS Office 64 bit installed, I recommend creating an incident with SAP Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Given link refers to a very old version 1.4 and I am currently using SP2 of 2.2, which is the latest version currently exist.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree; this is why I recommend creating a new SAP incident