cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hint for people installing trial SAP software on windows.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Sometimes for all sorts of reasons software doesn't install correctly or doesn't do "what it actually says on the tin".

Uninstalling the software sometimes fails as well leading to all sorts of problems when you want to re-install the software - especially if Registry entries are involved.

Here's some a suggestions that could save you quite of bit of time in the future.

1) partition your main drive so you have a relatively small (say 10 - 12 GB max) Windows only partition -- use this for installing programs only.

2) store your data (including the MAXDB database) on other drives / partitions.

3) before installing the SAP software  backup your OS (Windows partition).  You can use software such as Acronis True image for this purpose  - http://www.acronis.com

A 10GB partition will only take around 7 - 10 mins to backup and will  save you a HUGE amount of grief later.

4) install the software -- put the SAPDB on a different drive to the OS.

Now if any problems occur you can just restore your OS Windows partition image (takes around 10 mins). Manually delete the SAPDB from your data drive as well. Your system is now in the exact same state it was in before installing the SAP software.

Incidentally the acronis product can also be booted from "Stand alone" bootable media making this an excellent product for "Bare Metal recovery.

It always amazes me how rarely people backup their systems and data before making significant system changes.

Hope this tip is of some use to you.

Cheers

jimbo.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had absolutely no issues what-so-ever. I also did not need to copy any "...\drivers\etc" content to anywhere else in my c drive.

I believe the trick is on the java you install before running sapinst.exe

I am using j2sdk-1_4_2_19-windows-i586-p.exe on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit (NOT, I repeat, NOT JRE)

Source: Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 1.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have installed SAP NW ABAP 7.02 successfully and was able to login to system using BCUSER id. I tried to create my first ABAP program using SE38. I entered program name as ZBH02, Click "Create", entered program description on next page and Program type as "Executable Progrm", Click Save.

On next screen (Create Document Object Entry screen), I clicked on Local Object. But after clicking this button nothing happens. ABAP editor is not dispalyed to write ABAP program.

Can you help me with the same?

Former Member
0 Kudos

if error occured,tried to down load again,coz it's usually occur when the server connection was reset,or move.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm trying to download the SAP Abap Trial version for XP and I get the following error:

Unfortunately there was a technical issue completing your download request. Please try again later.

Can anyone please tell me why I'm getting this error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

An error has occured with Max DB (sapdb\programs\bin\x_server.exe) during the installation of SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 ABAP Trial version

This is the log

checking unpacked archive... ok

cannot install x_server as service

Error occured while executing "D:\sapdb\programs\bin\x_server.exe" install

"D:\sapdb\programs\bin\x_server.exe" install:

installation exited abnormally at We, Feb 23, 2011 at 20:28:13

ERROR 2011-02-23 20:28:13.937 iaxxinscbk.cpp:260

MDB-07020 The database installer reported an error. DIAGNOSIS: Some database applications might still be running. SOLUTION: Check the log file sdbinst.log.

ERROR 2011-02-23 20:28:14.093

CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()

MUT-03025 Caught ESAPinstException in Modulecall: sdbinst.log.

ERROR 2011-02-23 20:28:14.453 sixxcstepexecute.cpp:950

FCO-00011 The step installServerSoftware with step key |NW_ABAP_OneHost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_Onehost_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|2|0|NW_CreateDBandLoad|ind|ind|ind|ind|9|0|NW_CreateDB|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_ADA_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|6|0|Sdb_ServerSoftware_Dialogs|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|Sdb_ServerSoftware|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|installServerSoftware was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step :Caught ESAPinstException in Modulecall: sdbinst.log.).

I've tried to install the MAXDB Seperatly but the same error has occured

am using Win XP pro SP2.

any help pls

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also facing same problem. Please reply to the post of if you found any solution. The error I was getting.

MDB-07020 The database installer reported an error. DIAGNOSIS: Some database applications might still be running. SOLUTION: Check the log file sdbinst.log.

Thanks,

Amara.

faisal_altaf2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Friends,

Check out my Following Blogs Hope will help you.

[Step by Step Installation of SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 ABAP Trial Version in Oracle VirtualBox Part 1/3|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20390] [original link is broken];

[Step by Step Installation of SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 ABAP Trial Version in Oracle VirtualBox Part 2/3|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20467] [original link is broken];

[Step by Step Installation of SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 ABAP Trial Version in Oracle VirtualBox Part 3/3|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20668] [original link is broken];

Thanks and Regards,

Faisal

peter_benicky
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

having exactly same problem....

Error! Connection failed to node (local) for database NSP:

-24700,ERR_DBMSRV_NOSTART: Could not start DBM server.

meaning i am not able to connect <local>, however i am able to connect localhost via dbmcli

can anybody help?

thanks

peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been trying to install SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.0 for a while.

1.) First on my Windows Vista which caused following error after installation:

===================================================

============== Stopping System NSP ================

===================================================

========= Stopping ABAP instance ====

23.05.2009 15:28:06

Stop

OK

23.05.2009 15:28:16

StopWait

OK

========= Stopping database instance ...

The MaxDB Database Stopper, Version 7.7.04.23

Copyright 2000-2008 by SAP AG

Error! Connection failed to node (local) for database NSP:

-24700,ERR_DBMSRV_NOSTART: Could not start DBM server.

-24701,ERR_EXHNDLR: Could not initialize exception handler.

-24748,ERR_FILEOPEN: Error opening file C:sapdbdatawrkdbmsrv_DATART-PC.err

-24826,ERR_NIERROR: Can not open file 'C:sapdbdatawrkdbmsrv_DATART-PC.err'.

(System error 5; Přístup byl odepřen.)

Error: Error while calling dbmcli

"C:sapdbprogramspgmdbmcli" -d NSP -u , db_offline -nc

============== Stop database failed !

2.) After giving up to install SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.0 on Windows Vista, I am now running Windows XP on VMWare workstation under Windows Vista, which is called virtualization - so actually I am running Windows XP "under" Windows Vista to make installation of SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.0 possible.

And what happened is that after I start running SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.0 installer following message pops up:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:run Exception in thread "main"

This message pops up not only under virtual Windows XP, but also under Windows Vista.

Can someone please help with this ??

I would REALLY APPRECIATE THAT.

Thanks.

Milan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Norton ghost is one more useful utility, it backs up entire hard disk along with all ur software so when ur windows goes corrupt just restore the image of hard disk.

кu03B1ятu03B9к

former_member182779
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James:

Thanks for this...I'm sure it would be helpul for a lot of people.

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Backup is always good. Another method I prefer is the following:

Use virtual machines like VMware etc. Create one bare WXP or W2003 system. Copy this virtual and start experimenting, like installing this SAP Netweaver trial.

With the snapshots it becomes very easy to go back a step before the start of the installation.

Just did this today on a machine at home with a quad core giving the Virtual machine two CPUs and 2Gb of memory and installing the Netweaver trial. This works very nice.

Another bonus is, I can make a copy of this virtual tomorrow to another machine at work and continue experimenting without needing to do another install.

Probably will install as well the java trial on another machine to be able to experiment with java, if time permits

Use of virtual machines is a great tool, just make sure you have a powerfull pc and lots of hard disk space.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I like vmware as well -- another FREE option is to use Virtual Box (works on Linux and Windows) but not exactly sure how stable it is.

BTW I've found for the ABAP stack I can even run it ok on a 1GB virtual machine on a 2GB dual core notebook.

RAM is probably more important than anything else in using VM's. Running 2 VM's on a small machine concurrently is just about OK provided both VM's aren't concurrently doing a lot of work.

Cheers

Jimbo