Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Business One vs. Microsoft Dynamics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are selecting an ERP platform for a growing apparel business and have narrowed the search to SAP Business one and Microsoft Dynamics. We are torn at this point, and would like some non-bias outside feedback on these two platforms. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Das.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP B1 has some very interesting in-built workflow capabilities which can be deployed "out of the box" and the only disadvantage of this is that your organizational processes and procedures needs to be adjusted to fit within the parameters of the solutions. As for Dynamics Nav, such capabilities are not available "out of the box" and some customization (using BizTalk) would be required to deploy such control capabilities. However, in terms of analysis of management information, the "Dimensions" concept of MsDynamics Nav are way better that many other software solutions that I have used.

So, whether it is SaaS or any other approach, it basically depends of how much management flexibility is required and also the depth of reporting requirements that you require. I still believe that the unique functional requirements of your organization should be the key factors determining the selected solution.

SAP B1 is generally buggy and lacks deep functionality. The product is a mile long and an inch deep, which basically means that when looking at overview demos and reading the sales and marketing material from SAP about the application, it sounds like it does it all. However, when you actually get into using the application and want to take it a step further, you will run into some trouble. I think that B1 is probably going away in the long term, and will be replaced by A1S, depending on the success of A1S of course. If it does not go away, it is more likely that it will become a pure small market product, competing with Dynamics SL (Salomon), Quickbooks Enterprise, and Microsoft Office Accounting. B1 is not for growing businesses or more complex businesses.

Dynamics NAV works great in the apparel business, as we have mid market clients in this type of business that run NAV. Their solution is enhanced, as you do not run NAV straight out of the box. NAV was built for being flexed and enhanced in order to fit specific organizations processes. No other product that I have seen or worked with can be tailored to a specific business or industry as well and easily as NAV. Note that the product does not need to be enhanced because it lacks functionality, as NAV is has very strong and rich functionality out of the box (much more the B1). NAV is flexed and enhanced in order to streamline and make a business process more efficient. The alternative (not enhancing the solution) is to live with how the "out of the box" point application defined that all the world's organizations should hand5le that specific process in an "industry standard" way.

Reward points if found helpfull...

Cheers,

Siva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manosh,

This link could be useful to know:

http://www.training-classes.com/providers/00/20/2049_nascent_technologies.php if you want to take SAP training but for SAP B1, you could try to ask them if they have info about it.

pls reward if hekpful.

cheers,

Hema.

0 Kudos

Yes SAP B1 & Microsoft Dynamics both are popular ERP. But SAP B1 has some advantages over MS Dynamics.

Regards,

Shahzad

former_member399031
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The answer to this can be quite subjective. Depending on which particular ERP the responder has experience on.

Generally SAP B1 is very good. Much better that Dynamics and Navision. But its only as a good as the implementers responsible for the roll out. Proper business knowledge and experience is a must for successful roll-outs in any sector.

Regards,

0 Kudos

I confirm that sap B1 is best that microsoft Dynamic NAV because is implemented with an excellent logic.

Dynamic NAV has more functions, but without a clear logic (in some menu we can call functions that it doesn't need and it hasn't an easy and useful user interface)

NAV is working because it has a lot of vertical for a specific sector, but if we compare the 2 product with standard function, NAV doesn't work very well. SAP b1 work very well in  standard mode.

i can confirm this because i worked with the 2 product.

0 Kudos

No Doubt Sap business one . After 9.0 It is having lot of features, By comparing it's old versions.

8.0 and below. I was worked more than 3 years on sap business one. It is good than MDynamic.