cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset and Start in Cycle

former_member192718
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How do offset and start in cycle differ? What is basic difference between them?

what is the necessity of having both function in SAP PM?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

i will put the ans with simple example.

You have a counter based plan.

Cycle/plan = 1000 hrs

But the client have done maintenance at 800 hrs (before mapping with SAP). So while mapping we have to put OFFSET as 800 hrs. By putting OFFSET as 800hrs, next call object will get released at 1800, 2800 and 3800 hrs so on.

So, offset will determine next maintenance due.

Start in cycle is used in STRATEGY plan. .

eg: you have three packages. 1000hrs, 1500 hrs and 2000 hrs.

At present client have done 1500 hrs Maintenance, logically they have to do 2000 hrs in their Maintenance. This can be mapped using START IN CYCLE.

By using SIC, you can fix an start offset point. In our example, our start offset point should be 1500 hrs. So system will automatically calculate the next call date w.r.t 1500 hrs only and call object will be released at 2000 hrs.

SIC is used to determine WHICH PACKAGE is next due

Hope u have got ur answers. Reward points or else reply for more clarifications..

Sam

former_member192718
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, offset will determine next maintenance due.

SIC is used to determine WHICH PACKAGE is next due

Dear SAM I got the meaning of both the terms. Can you tell me how these two bold line differ?

But I can say one thing that you gave me the correct path to think now. You may be right and may be I am not getting you. I will also think but you now again explain me.

Well done!

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are clear abt Offset.

I will give one eg. to get what is SIC

You have 3 packages. 500 hrs, 1000hrs and 1500 hrs

You know that your next due is 1500 hrs and already your counter reading is somewhere near 1000hrs. say 890 hrs

So, in this case system should calculate the next due date on the base start reading as the PRESENT COUNTER READING.

In order to map the present Counter with the system, in SIC give the Counter Reading as 890 hrs. Now system will start calculate with the reference of 890hrs and will schedule the call dates accordingly. While assigning SIC, you have to give START OFFSET package. In our case this should be 1000 hrs This will decide what is the next package due in the Plan

To understan better, you try with Offset and SIC 0 hrs & 1000 hrs and then schedule your plan. You will get to know the exact difference.

Reward points, if it is clear to you.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi rai,

the word offset means you can make changes ,it can be applied to maintenance packages.If you requirement is not met with start of cycle you can use an offset to particular package and length of the package can be changed.

consider a plan which has already generated orders,now if you want to change the order due dates then try to change start of cycle and see wether existing packages can generate orders on that due dates if not then change your package using an offset.

hope you understood this

regards

pushpa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maintenance package offset

The offset of a maintenance package or maintenance cycle determines the

time after which a maintenance package first becomes due.

You must enter an offset when the first time a maintenance package is to be performed does not correspond with the cycle length.

In the case of multiple counter plans or maintenance cyles,you can use the offset to perform a maintenanc pckage once only, by maintaining the offset

Example

Cycle length of maintenance package:every two years

First time due (offset): after three years

Logically we can say

Start of cycle is Start date of Maintenance plan,

Offset is time after which a maintenance package first becomes due.

Logically you can get detailed help be pressing F1 at the Offset field.Logic behind my answer was F1.

Reward points if it helps!!

former_member192718
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My Dear,

I am not satisfied by your answer. First of all you didn't understand my question. Its Start In Cycle not start of cycle

Let me ask clearly ofset is to determine first due date but start in cycle is again something to start maintenance cycle from where we want.

I thing you got the question?