cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer Script Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

I seem to get a weird IE Script error for any report I try to run on Crystal Developer XI. This is only specific to a Date/Time parameter. When I click the calendar button to select a date, it gives me the following IE Error:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 159

Char: 1

Error: Object expected

Code: 0

URL: file:///C:\an html file somewhere in my Documents and Settings directory.

I am then prompted if I want to continue running scripts on this page. If I click Yes, it will not do anything. Same result if I click No.

This is happening to all my reports that have a Date/Time parameter.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was having this same erro and tried all possible answers. The issue comes down to the system using Internet Explorer to display the prompts and then a Windows Update somehow now blocks scripts from running. Below is the solution that workd for me using IE8, Windows 7, and Crystal XI R2 and R3.

I found this: ht[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieextensiondevelopment/thread/54544ec6-c2a5-40e5-934c-525e11df0053/ |http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieextensiondevelopment/thread/54544ec6-c2a5-40e5-934c-525e11df0053/ ]

There are some new information disclosure fixes in IE 7 that disallow arbitrary usage of the file system for loading of scripts. There are several fixes available to get you up and running. First, don't use an internet zone page for the content, instead load a dummy HTML page from disk to put the browser control into the local machine zone. Then you can load from the local machine zone just fine.

The second is to show intent that you don't mind allowing web-sites arbitrary access to scripts on your local machine by setting a feature control key. Some applications don't load internet content and so aren't vulnerable and so the usage of the key is a valid fix:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT (registry key)

MyAppName.exe:DWORD(0x0) (registry value)

Hopefully one of these options is suitable for your scenario. We warn against setting the feature control key for your application unless you are sure that internet content is not going to be loaded by your application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bob Van Zandt's suggestion from worked for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to correct this issue by:

1. Zipping the crystalreportsviewer11 folder (to serve as a backup)

2. Renaming the prompt.dll in the bin directory

3. Coping over items 1 and 2 from a known working version of CRXI to the server having the error

I originally tried them individually, and got different errors. Then I started looking at the file dates and they were all different so it's my belief that they need a "matching" set.

Good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

I simply found a version of prompt.dll that was older. My non-working was 11.0.0.2478. I replaced it with 11.0.0.893. Now whether this is a full proof fix, is unknown. However, it appeared to be a loss of functionallity in the new dll, because the new file was smaller.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue. I also had IE 7 installed and even tried upgrading to IE 8. This is the only pc I use Crystal Reports on. I tried resetting the browser to it's defaults and that did not work. Any other ideas. The error references the file:file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/UserName/Local%20Settings/Temp/prompting1.html . Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

This seems to be a common issue affecting a good amount of us. Isn't there a way to get this escalated to SAP? All the solutions posted here so far, has worked for some of us but unfortunately not all of us.

A hotfix of a sort might be nice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know if that's going to help, from reading these forums I've come to the conclusion that we (the users) are pretty much on our own when it comes to support. I hope I'm wrong.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only suggestion that worked for me was to manually copy the entire

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\4.0\crystalreportviewers12

folder from my computer to the user's computer because their folder was missing several files and directories, even after installing the CR2008 viewer redistributables.

Hope this helps.

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Eric,

The prompting files either did not install correctly or became corrupt. If you have a system (CR or Enterprise ) that is working we can copy the files from that system to the one it is not working on.

If you are using CR XI R2 copy the C:\Program files\Business Objects\Common\3.5\crystalreportsviewers115\prompting folder from the working machine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham.

I copied the folder you mentioned from a working machine with the same service pack (SP4).

Made sure to copy over and replace the old folder while CRXI was closed.

Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. What else can I try?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It may be a problem with the parmeters themselves, the regional settings on the browser/operating system or (very unlikely) in the database

What is the browser software and its version?

How are the parameters passed to CR?

What regional settings are set for the OS and the browser?

This should identify where the error is....

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, I was having difficulty finding the old knowledge base article that detailed the solution to this. Try the following as well;

Rename "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\common\3.5\bin\prompt.dll" to "prompt.old"

Replace the prompt.dll with one from the working machine.

Now if this still doesn"t work ensure that there are no other copies of "promptengine_calendar.js" anywhere on the system, if there is rename and replace it also

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well the funny thing is, the parameters were working fine while I was developing reports yesterday.

I came in today to test some stuff and I noticed this started happening for ALL reports that have a date/time prompt.

To answer your question, browser CR is using is IE7.

The date/time parameter is created in CR as a normal DateTime static parameter value with range.

Regional settings on both items are US.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No progress on that either Graham.

Replaced prompt.dll as well as the JS file. Still getting the same error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What was the resolution to this issue?? I'm having the same problem... running CR XI R2.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

I too am experiencing this same issue. I have discovered that if IE is open the problem doesn't occur, but when it is closed the problem returns. I reinstalled IE7 to see if that would help but no joy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you found a solution to this error yet?

I am having the same error, it doesn't happen on the development machine, only on the user machine.

Both machines are running IE7 with the same regional settings.

The viewer is a winform viewer but the error is the same, it only happens if the date parameter is DYNAMIC and being loaded from the database. If I change it to a static parameter that you have to type in or select from a dropdown calendar, it works ok.

This might be an IE7 javascript security issue...

the client machines have the automatically downloaded Crystal Reports 2008 redistributable package that you can include from within Visual Studio 2008 if you have CR2008 and are using ClickOnce deployment.

Maybe this error would go away if you package your own CR redist. but I haven't tried that yet.

I will post here once I find a solution!

Edited by: Talal Nehme on Nov 19, 2008 4:59 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this..

Goto Internet options > Select programs tab > and click on the button reset web settings.

Goto Advanced Tab> Click on the button restore defaults.

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

That corrected the issue. Thank you so much!