cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance Assemblies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I want to use maintenance assemblies in the project. But while creating assemblies, in Std there are only 3 views available in mm01. So, it means assemblies are only logical elements(as I understand) ? Secondly, suppose I want to purchase a engine (with material type Maint assembly), is it possible(as other views are not there) to keep as valuated inventory if the spare parts of it are already valuated in inventory?? With help.sap material, I could not able to understand properly, so pls help me to get the concept of maint. assemblies so as to use it wisely.

regards,

raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj

You can buy the gear box as a spare & keep the stoc.Still you can show it as an assembly.

As u know Maintenance assemblies are materials of material type IBAU.

However u have an option of selecting a material of other material type as maintenance assembly.

The Maintenance assembly indicator is ticked on the status/long text of BOM items screen.When u process the maintenance tasks,items marked as maintenance assembly are displayed as structural elements.

As you mentioned gear box is shown as an example for assembly by SAP.The whole logic is

1. You can track the costs of assemblies in PMIS but dont require inventory management

2. Want to combine similar materials in one node

So there are 2 options available.

1. You can procure the assembly & still use as an assembly in Order

2. Just treat as a logical entity & use for cost analysis without inventory management

Choice is yours.

Hope I have not confused you further!!!

Regards

Jignesh

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Maintenance Assemblies are Materials of material type IBAU. The material Master contains Basic Data and Classification Data.

Inventory Management is not possible for Assemblies. For Bill of material relevant for maintenance, the components are checked when the maitenance assembly is maintained.

During the processing of maintenance tasks, items marked as a maintenance are displayed as structure elements of an operational system.

Hope it may help you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thanks to all contributed. Points awarded.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Assemblies are used to combine similar objects under one node.I hope with earlier replies u've understood tht well, but if u still want to purchase assemblies then try making it a "Sub-Equipment" rather than assembly, as u cnt buy an assembly.its just a concept.

I'll try it with an example-

Suppose u have a large engine and and u want to create Fuel Injection system as assembly,so the components in it will be fuel pump,injector,nozzle etc. Now if the business requirement is such tht u need to buy this, thn either make it as a sub equipment or a spare part as u cnt directly buy an ass'y.

Hope it was not confusing.

Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

As per as SAP Std IBAU Type that is material type Assembly is not having the purchase view.

Logically u are telling is possible to create a BOM using CS01. Attach all spare parts to it that is BOM of that material code.

Procure & make it as equipment / subequipment assign this material code in cost type field & see the system struuture in IH01.

Ramesh

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is some infor related to [PM Assemblies|http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272470]

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maintenance assemblies are materials which do not exist. If you are aware of phantom BOMs you can probably corelate with it for an analogy. Now since you have taken the example of the engine I will use the same.

You have a job in the fuel line for say cylinder unit no.1. However, you do not have any physical object called fuel line for unit 1. They are a set of spares assembled together which makes it the fuel line. If you go to the stores and ask for a fuel line he might say what do you want in the fuel line? The jerk pump, the injector, the hose, the cam? Which one? Yet, your maintenance is on the fuel line. So you might create the notification/service order on the fuel line which is ok. But you cannot issue a spare part called the fuel line. That is why Maintenance Assemblies (is it HALB?) in the standard SAP have just the basic data1,2 and classification tabs because you can't cost them, stock them, plan for them etc. You might also create a number of notifications on various parts of the fuel line and include them all under a single maintenance order which will be for the fuel line.

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

As per defination

A group of semi-finished products or parts that are assembled together and form either a finished product or a component of a finished product is known as an assembly.

An assembly is identified by a material number and generally functions as a single unit.

You can only set the PM assembly indicator if the item is defined as relevant to Plant Maintenance (PM).

Items which have the PM assembly indicator are displayed as structure elements of an engineering system when you process maintenance tasks. You can use these structure elements to describe an item in more detail in the engineering system (for example, potential damage location).

When you maintain PM assemblies in BOMs that are relevant to PM, the system checks the component. You can only maintain this field if the BOM component is a material.

Plant maintenance BOMs contain items that are only used for structuring the equipment (PM assembly). No plant data is required for these materials. For this reason, the system does not check plant data for items with the item category PM structure element.

As a business requiremnt u can create PM assemblies.

1. Can assign in structuring

2. Can assign in Task lists

3. Can be used in measuring points

4. Can be used in Maint Orders

5.Can be used in PP for DIfferent manuf scenarios.

As a std there are basic classifiaction views in the system.

The individual history for each different assembly can not be traced in the system.

For PS functionlity following information may be useful to u.

In the Project System only networks can be generated directly from a sales document during assembly processing. Indirectly the system can also generate work breakdown structures, when it creates the network.

You start assembly processing by creating a sales document for a material. This sales

document can be

An inquiry

A quotation

A sales order.

The system then:

Configures the material, if necessary

Creates a network using the standard network as a template

Configures the network, if necessary

Schedules the network backwards from the required delivery date

Checks material availability

Costs the network and transfers these costs to the sales document.

When you save the sales document, the system saves the network together with the sales document.

If applicable, it also generates a project definition and work breakdown structure. The project number is derived from the sales document number.

Advantages of Assembly Processing

Assembly processing creates a link between the sales document and the project. This means that the same information is available to the employees in the sales department and to project management. The system automatically updates changes to the sales document in the network and vice-versa.

Since the system schedules the network and checks material availability when you create a sales document, you can immediately inform the customer whether you can complete the project on the date he/she requested. If not, the system proposes a date on which it is possible to complete the project.

As of Release 4.6 it is possible to use assembly processing with project stock.There is now a logical connection between the sales order number and the stock segment. This means that you can create deliveries in the Sales and Distribution component for a project that has been generated using assembly processing. Subsequently you can use the standard delivery functions in this component. For more infrmation, see Delivery Processing

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Assembly does not fall under Purchasing.It contains only basic data & classification data.

They are considered design/phantom/grouping type of materials. They aren't physical materials but rather a grouping of physical materials.

Regards

Jignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jignesh,

It means, if I buy a gearbox, then I should categorised it as Spare parts(material type) and not Maint. Assembly.

But as per explanation in SAP help for maint. assembly, things like gearbox are given as examples of maint. assemblies(and this are physically existing)...

Pls clarify, i got little confused.

Regards