Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to provide f4 help to the read only input field

former_member188831
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

can you please let me know how to provide the f4help to the input field which is read only using abap webdynpro.

Thanks,

Mahesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhimanyu_lagishetti7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh

Use Freely Programmed Input Help, using OVS and dictionary search help like this will disable the COPY button

Abhi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Use OVS and dictionary search help .

Regards,

Muneesh Gitta.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Dear Muneesh Gitta; did you read any of the other postings in this forum thread? This solution has already been proposed and shown that it doesn't work because the input field is read-only. Why post the same incorrect answer again?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Web Dynpro provides two types of pre-implemented search helps :

1. ABAP Dictionary Search help

2. OVS

One more help is Freely programmed search help.

[Input Help|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/b3/4d3642eca5033be10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm]

I have created a blog on implementing OVS help in WDA. You can refer that for sample code.

[OVS Help in WDA|]

In addition, you can also provide help through Drop Downs and Select options.

[Working with select-options in WDA|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c09fec07-0dab-2a10-dbbe-c9a26bdff03e]

I hope this will help.

Thanks

Shruti

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

good

Check the below forum thread.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/forums

Thanks

mrutyun^

Former Member
0 Kudos

u create an input help for a data element which will contain the values u want to show for F4 .

create a inputfield element and make its property read only

create a attribute and in type field enter this new data element for which you have created input help.

F4 OPTION WITH READ ONLY INPUT FIELD WILL BE CREATED.

if any doubts feel free to ask.

regards

panky

former_member188831
Contributor
0 Kudos

By Using data element i tried but it is not working ( i mean getting the f4 help but it will not copy back to the read only inputfiled).

Thanks,

Mahesh

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>

> By Using data element i tried but it is not working ( i mean getting the f4 help but it will not copy back to the read only inputfiled).

>

>

> Thanks,

> Mahesh

It isn't going to work for display fields. The standard search helps will look at the source field status and not allow a copy of the values back if they are not enabled for input. Otherwise you could imagine this might become a problem when you have transactions in display mode - you wouldn't want people to accidentally change input fields you didn't intend simply because they have a standard value help attached to them.

So the earlier suggestions of just attaching a DDic or OVS to the field isn't going to achieve what you want. You should take the suggestion of using the self-programmed value help. With this approach you have given access to the original context attribute and can decide what you want to do when in display mode.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

it seems that since applying EhP4 and related support packs, using a freely programmed value help also has a check on whether the field is read only or not. - And does not display when field is marked read only...

Is there anyway to get around this?

--- Edit

Have noted response in post

Seems a shame that functionality has been removed just because some coders can't check the values provided in the interfaces given to them - makes it very difficult to provide functionality to allow value helps that select specific values without allowing for users to make input errors - eg I want to ensure that user has selected correct 16 digit value - so I provide a search help - I don't want them to be allowed to type it in - or potentially I want to return the text of the selection - hide the 16 digit value form the user, but allow the text field to have the value help dropdown...

Guess I'll just have to change all my freely programmed value helps to being called from buttons on the screen.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by: Chris Paine on Feb 4, 2010 11:27 AM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Guess I'll just have to change all my freely programmed value helps to being called from buttons on the screen.

That would be my suggestion.

I believe the change is not just to protect programmers who don't check the display flag. One of the newer items in the SAP UX Guide is that value help should not be triggered at all from display only fields. From a User Experience standpoint it has been decided that this can lead to user confusion. Of course we could debate the pros/cons of such an approach, but it appears that SAP UX has made up their mind on this particular pattern.